1. Morrison23j macrumors newbie

My sister is thinking about switching to a mac. All she wants is a laptop that she can write papers, surf the net, and minimum photography. She would also like to burn CD's. She's looking at the 12 inch ibook. What do you think. Where should she buy at. She does have a small budget. I know a small budget mac user.

2. C-Mezak macrumors regular

C-Mezak

an ibook would be perfect. She could have a new one with a cd burner for $999 after the student discount either from apple's online store or from any of the retail stores. But She might be able to get by on a used or refurbished model to do the things youve listed. check the classifieds as well as apple's rfurbished section online for those.

Ive recently made the switch to mac mysef, and I wholeheartedly endorse the same for your sister. Good luck!!

3. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

do it

I have the 12 inch ibook and I use it for school, and just lounging on the sofa surfing the net. My dad is a digital photographer so he sometimes uses the ibook for on-the-go modifications. I am a music lover and burn cds for my buddies at school. The one firewire port on the book should be enough for minimum photography.

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I concur...an iBook sounds like the perfect computer for her - and if she can get a good deal on a refurb or edu price then all the better...oh yeah!

5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I think i saw some cheap refurb iBooks in the special deals section from under 1k which is awsome. Thats all she would need.

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

How low a budget are we talking? Assuming she could afford a new iBook that's what I would suggest she get. It'll work just fine for her.

Since her requirements and budget are both low she doesn't even need a new iBook. An older G3 iBook 500mhz or faster would be just as good. That might be a can of worms though, as those are the iBooks that had logic board problems.

If she can afford new then she should get new. Does it have to be a laptop? eMac costs less and is a better overall computer.

7. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

8. Morrison23j thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help, by the way her budget is around a thousand dollars. I never thought of a refurbished one. Thanks for the idea.

9. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

If her budget is at $1000, she should be all set with the 12" iBook. Either at the student price or a refurbished pirice, it should be about $999.