Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sethwerkheiser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
This has only happend to me twice since I got my iBook on May 23rd of this year. I put my iBook to sleep at night, and the next morning when I open her back up she's like... dead. No springing back to life or nothing. She's cold, the screen is black, and hitting the power button does nothing.

So it happend again last night before I went to bed - how I got to sleep knowing my iBook was dead I don't know! haha... so this morning I open her up and nothing. I plugged the power chord in then whammo - the familar startup chime and it's back to life.

Any idea why this happens? I know last night I closed her up without disconnecting from the internet (dial up) first.

Thanks

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
It sounds like your battery has run down and your iBook has shut down. The iBook will use power even when asleep, though it will only draw a small current.

I suggest leaving your iBook plugged into the mains when you go to sleep.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Hey there:
Unless your battery is failing (and it should not for a newer machine) having your iBook sleep should not wear down the battery. This has happened to my iBook twice: when I plug it in to peripherals at work without waking it first, and when the logic board was failing: what would happen was that while it was closed, the screen would awake and stay on (!) this would cause the heat created to over-heat the iBook and it would shut down. A trip to Apple fixed that. I would suggest you unplug any peripherals for good measure, and wait until all processes are done before you close the lid. My iBook is always in my leather carry case, it spends the night there and is always ready to go next morning. Hope that helps.

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Originally posted by Balin64
Hey there:
Unless your battery is failing (and it should not for a newer machine) having your iBook sleep should not wear down the battery.

I disagree on this point. The iBook does draw power when it sleeps, even though it's a tiny current. But if a battery is below about 5% there may not be enough power to sleep for another 8-10 hours. (It's happened to me). Batteries even leak small amounts of power even if the computer is off.

Most anecdotal experiences I've read put sleep times from a full charge to about 3 days.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
my powerbook does the same thing if it's put to sleep before all the processes are finished. when you shut the screen, the sleep indicator doesn't come on, the machine is basically running normally (or at least sounds like it) but the screen is black. holding down the power button will shut down the machine (sounds like it is being shut down)...

i think there's some problem with the machine being suddenly put to sleep while it's doing something... the surest way to replicate this is to have some accessory, say a usb mouse, remove it and immediately put it to sleep.

my pb, if connected to mains, will wake up from sleep with the latch closed if a mouse is clicked. the display will come back on. but after a while (maybe a minute?) it falls back asleep and doesn't overheat...

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
My PowerBook does the same thing. If I click the mouse by accident it'll wake up, then sleep again in about 20seconds.

I've had just about a week of sleep time on my iBook.

But if it dies while asleep, I'd say it was the battery going south. Time to get a new one.

phgreer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Greenville, SC
This happened to me one time and I freaked. What happened to me was my battery came lose and I took it out and put it back in and then it boot up just fine.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I don't think it's your battery. My new iBook 900 does this too...fails to wake from sleep. There is a huge topic on Apple's boards where others have shared their experiences with not waking from sleep. Seems to be attributed to 10.2.6.

We're not alone on this

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
this SHOULD NOT be happening. my iBook and my brother's powerbook have both gone a week or longer sleeping on 0% battery. We did not lose power at all. If your battery is causing your computer to die, get a replacement while you are still under warranty. Do not take no for an answer.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by sparkleytone
this SHOULD NOT be happening. my iBook and my brother's powerbook have both gone a week or longer sleeping on 0% battery. We did not lose power at all. If your battery is causing your computer to die, get a replacement while you are still under warranty. Do not take no for an answer.
i think sparkleytone's right, i once left a powerbook on sleep without AC for a long time (at less than 5%) and the battery didn't die...

sethwerkheiser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
thank you thank you

Man, and my Windows friends wonder why I switched! I post a question and a day later have like 10 answers! hehe... thanks for the help, everyone.

It hasn't "died" since, and I've been more careful in making sure everything is "done" before putting her to sleep. The battery is fine, too. It's been sleeping at night and waking in the morning just fine.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.