iBooks, eMacs and Tiger

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacSA, Oct 7, 2004.

1. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

I wonder if the next revision of the iBooks and eMacs might give us some hint at when Tiger is going to be released. If the next revision is soon and only includes a small processor speed bump maybe larger hard drives, might that indicate Tiger would be coming early summer next year as that would give Apple time to include another revision/upgrade with better graphics card and maybe Tiger pre-installed in early summer? On the other hand if we see really major upgrades to the graphics cards/processor this year - maybe Tiger could be here early next year. What do you think?

2. Ensoniq macrumors regular

Now that CoreImage has been announced, I think Apple will have a tough time selling machines that aren't compliant. So I think it's pretty safe to say that the next eMac/iBook updates will include CoreImage compliant video cards. Even if Tiger is many months off, Apple can't let the next update be too weak, or they are going to get slammed.

-- Ensoniq

3. mms macrumors 6502a

I doubt it. CoreImage is a professional tool and is not necessary for most users. It would not be worth upgrading the eMac or iBook to a higher end graphics card just for that. Besides, CoreImage can scale, so that users of unsupported graphics card can still see improvements with Tiger.

4. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

Perhaps Apple will make an announcement about Powerbook delays in the same way they did with the new G5 iMac.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Someone probably lost their head over that whole iMac mess up.

The next revision will be completely Tiger-compliant, and the current ones will do a remarkable job as well.

6. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

when can we expect the updates to happen? If they do will there be a price difference in these items? And will the design of the items be different? :confused:

7. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

I think the iMac delays were due to a lack of G5 chips?

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I'd expect the next iBook and eMac revisions to come with the Nvidia Gefore 5200 chip (GO and FX Ultra chips respectively). This graphics card is in the current 12" PBs and iMacs and provides baseline support for CoreImage and CoreVideo. These may be pro features, but there's no need to cripple them. iBooks and eMacs can run Final Cut well, after all, and there is no reason to stop pros using them.