iBooks have different keyboards?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ITASOR, Jun 14, 2005.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

YES. I searched first. :) I found "half answers" and "I'm I think so."

I'm looking for a 100% knowledge answer.

Why do some iBooks have a regular keyboard in US format and others have the "\" key moved down and have the upside down "L" return key? They are also in US, and don't have any other $ signs showing that they are like UK or something.

I'm dying to know why this is because I may buy a used one and the keyboard is like this.

-itasor

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I know they changed the keyboard's material when they went to G4 at the end of 2003 but I'm not sure they changed the layout. They could have... Is the keyboard you're looking at a solid colour or more of a transparent white?

3. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I know about the color change from G3-->G4. Both that I'm looking at are the solid white G4 ones. One has the regular return key and one has the "\" moved down where return should be and has an upside down shaped "L" return in the empty space.

4. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

The weird one is like the one pictured here? (http://www.mujmac.cz/art/hw/iBookG4_rew.html)

My guess, based on the location of that image, is that Apple has a US iBook, various Euro iBooks, and an "everywhere-else" iBook. After all, Apple can't make custom iBooks for every tiny country with 40 residents. The one pictured is likely an "everywhere-else". It has the weird enter key, but maintains the US dollar sign.

My guess as to one reason for an "everywhere-else" model is to remove the labels for the keys. In the linked picture, Return, Caps Lock, Tab, Shift, etc. are not labeled. Obviously if you're selling an iBook to an Iranian, you don't want it labeled with English words.

As for why the key shapes were changed... Perhaps the keyboards just had different designers? Someone had to sit down and work out the keyboard layout. Maybe they had a US keyboard guy and an International keyboard guy.

In any case, as long as the system is in good repair, it is what you want, and the price is right, there shouldn't be any problems with it. Unless that return key bothers you... (It would bother me. I tap it too far to the left for that shape.)