iBooks Specs are different

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by monke, Jul 30, 2005.

1. monke macrumors 65816

May 30, 2005
    On Apple's iBook page the size of the 12.1" iBook is different depending which page you go to.
    Link #1 will take to you the main page of the iBooks. About half way down the page there are two images describing the width and depth of the iBooks. For the 12.1" the width is 11.2" and the depth is 9.1"
    Link #1
    Link #2 is the iBooks tech specs page. If you scroll all the way down to the bottom (on the right) the specs are shown like this:
    Size and weight (12.1-inch model)

* Height: 1.35 inches (3.42 cm)
    * Width: 11.2 inches (28.5 cm)
    * Depth: 9.06 inches (23.0 cm)
    * Weight: 4.9 pounds (2.2 kg) (1)

Link #2

This is a little strange, either the iBooks have grown over night, or Apple has yet to change it since the last iBooks.
  2. Lazyhound macrumors regular

Jul 19, 2005
    Are you familiar with the concept of "rounding"?
  3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    If the 0.04 inches cause a problem, you can run the front of the iBook across a belt sander.
  4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...ah, yes....everything is some big conspiracy...maybe it is George Bush's fault...quick, call Michael Moore....[/sarcasm off] :)

..yeah...it is simply a matter of rounding...get over it.....oh yeah!
  5. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    Wow some rough responses here. Take it easy all as we have a new member here so lets not give him/her a bad first impression of our helpful community here :)
  6. joecool85 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    I think it was a good find, but nothing to get worried about. They just rounded because its less digits and easier for the average person to understand.
  7. Deepdale macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    Looks like it may be time for some of that extra testosterone to be released ... I agree there is no need to dump on a new member. We all know there is a vast difference in the base of knowledge that posters possess, but it remains the overall uniquely helpful and prompt replies by people that make these forums so special.
  8. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    Its the difference between "tech specs" where they give the exact details, and the "I am windows/dell person, where is the little milk jug that tells me how much my new boat anchor is going to weigh" people. If you have to draw a picture to tell them how much something is going to weigh, extra digits might confuse them. Boy I am in a really sarcastic mood this am..... sorry.
  9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    i can understand the question. because if one number is off i wonder how many other numbers are incorrect. maybe the tech spec page was not updated and some other numbers on the tech spec page are therefore outdated and uncorrect.

but in this case i guess the other posters are right. it's just about rounding numbers. nothing to worry about here.

although i like iMeowbots idea about sanding off the 0.04 inches :D