iBooks Tuesday?

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 21, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Tuesday (April 22nd, 2003) appears to be a possible day for iBook updates. We'll see shortly.

2. macrumors regular

Wonder what this is based on... would be nice if it were true.

3. macrumors G4

4. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

just random tidbits... nothing solid, nothing reliable...

arn

5. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

apple... please... it's way past time for this... I can't take any more false rumors about ibook/ PB updates!! We know you have 'em; let us buy 'em!

6. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Dude, we've heard this for months. It's getting annoying.

7. macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

I guess this would be in line with the TS rumor from a little bit ago. But, I'm not convinced. Luckily, I don't have to be. I can just sit and wait a few hours... :)

8. macrumors regular

I do think there is a possibility the iBooks will be released tomorrow. If you look at the very un-exciting upgrade specs that ThinkSecret posted, this is not going to be Apple.com frontpage material in the least. However, if they do update the iBooks, I can't imagine Apple not putting in on the frontpage in some way - however, if they do it tomorrow, they will only have to have the incredibly worthless "900 Mhz iBook" announcement on for a week (at least as the main ad), since April 28th is definitely bringing some, much bigger announcement.

9. macrumors 6502

Hmmm

I dont know about when the new iBooks are coming, but has anyone else realized Apple is able to switch to G4 iBooks with little overhead expense?

It appears to me that when the 970 enters the PowerBook line next winter/spring, the existing motherboards from the 12" powerbook will be used on the 12" and 14" iBooks with little or no modifications. Does anyone else agree?

10. macrumors regular

hmmmmmmm

Apple store site is down at the moment,,,we shall see;)

11. macrumors 68040

rickvanr

canada's apple store...

apple store is down north of the border too, im guessing random maintainance tho... usually is

12. macrumors member

13. macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Bugger this dial-up connection! If the flipping page would have loaded quicker I might have been able to tell you that at least 3 minutes ago.

Heh, new iBooks... sweet!

14. macrumors 6502a

Re: hmmmmmmm

though i've noty checked properly...seems to be for as new store design...oh new ibook...only 900mhz but i didn't see it in the sore main page or the main splash, only one of them small ads, seems very minor revision....and no airport extreme...also its $300 more for just 10 more gig and 100mhz faster, thats all i can tell is difference, the older 12.1" is much more of a bargin at 999

15. macrumors regular

60 gig hard drive ?

The font page of the apple site boasts a 60 gig hard drive option for the ibook. However when you check out the tech specs on the ibook page it says the biggest drive you can get is a 40 gig. Have they just not updated the info yet ?

16. macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Re: 60 gig hard drive ?

in the store they show the 60 gig.. its only the cutom built one tho

17. macrumors 65816

melchior

what was this source and what else do they have to say?

18. macrumors 65816

melchior

Re: Re: hmmmmmmm

it's 10gb, 100mhz AND a combo drive

entirely a bargain if you ask me. excellent value.

19. macrumors newbie

.mac as a BTO option too

Here in the uK they have added the .mac account as a Build To Order option too. It is available on all of the macs.

The 60gig HD option is also avaialble.

I'm not too woried about the lack of Firewire Extreme, however I think that Apple has missed an oportunity in not adding Bluetooth. But I suppose that they needed to keep re-engineering costs down as well as a need to differentiate the extra cost of the 12" Powerbook.

Finally, why can you not purchase the D-Link BT adapter on its own (or with an ibook)? You can only get it if you order it with the 15" imac or the 15.1" TiBook?

20. macrumors regular

dekator

No big thing

Nothing but a slight speed bump really. No Air Port Extreme, no Bluetooth and still only 128MB of RAM... (with the 12'1ers)
    That means, if you actually want to use your iBook, you'll have to have RAM added to it right away (or add it yourself, of course, which is preferable given the prices of the Apple Store). I wonder what impression that makes with newbies. Silly, if you ask me.

21. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My iBook isn't top of the line anymore :(

Not that there's much difference, I'm happy with what I've got.

Edit: They also appear to still run OS 9. My reasoning behind this is that the spec sheet says "Software: Mac OS X, Mac OS 9" but the Power Mac sheet says "Mac OS X with Classic Environment".

22. macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

hahahhahahahahahhahaha

I love Apple, they're great.

Instead of having a big splash on the front page they've got a "Check out our new store design" image.

It's so obvious they monitor these sites like hawks.

AppleMatt

23. macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

They do:

[​IMG]

:)

Now I want to see the 12" Powerbook compared to the 900MHz iBook, then I'll know which to get.

AppleMatt

(You'll have to click on the image link, for some reason the picture isn't showing up)

24. macrumors 6502a

bokdol

Re: hahahhahahahahahhahaha

if they monitor these sites like hawks..... it's kinda dissapointing that they only gave aus a speed bump and not what we want

25. macrumors 604

iJon

why do you people ask for sources, these people who know are not suppose to tell, thats what gets them in trouble, you will never know the sources and you dont need to know. have some common sense.

iJon