iCal 2... how is it? I'm dying to know!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by motulist, Apr 29, 2005.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

It turns out that the degree to which iCal has improved is probably the deciding factor on whether or not I upgrade at this point.

So how is it? Is it changed much? For the better? All iCal reviews and comments wanted.

2. Dm84 macrumors regular

I use iCal everyday and I have to say the biggest improvement is being able to search for events using Spotlight. Spotlight is awesome and the degree to which it integrates with iCal, Address Book, and the system as a whole is unsurpassed. For this reason alone I would upgrade immediately, if feasible.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

yeah, just the Spotlight integration's enough for me. I keep heaps of info on iCal and it's good being able to actually go back over it and find stuff. :)

4. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

they added bday support it seems.. maybe a lil faster.. not much.. :rolleyes:

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Only big difference is Spotlight, and its not even a big deal to me that it's there.

6. brogers macrumors regular

It's getting better. I use it with my Blackberry.....syncs great.

br

7. slb macrumors 6502

Wow, I hadn't even realized iCal was integrated with Spotlight. I searched in Spotlight for the name of a TV show iCal reminds me to watch, and there it was. Neat. :)

8. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I hate to say it on such a great day for Apple, but iCal still sucks.

Yeah, v2 is better. But it still can't do basic things found in any calendar program in 1992.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not having heaps of experience with other programs, what's it missing? Just out of interest.

10. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

The thing I really have been waiting for is better basic every day usability. For instance:

If something happens in my day and I want to shift several events a bit later in the day, the only way (that I know of) to move them is one by one!

Or copying and pasting several events from different calendars to another day without them all turning into the same calendar.

Those types of every day usability things. Have any of those changed?

11. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

Such as...?

iCal is not a Calendar Creator or Calendar Maker program. iCal is an electronic schedule or an electronic datebook.

To change things in multiples, use different views. Just grab all the events and move them: one hour, one day, one week, one month, whatever you want.

12. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

It's almost too obvious a question to answer, but off the top of my head:

1. No start date for tasks
    2. No repeat or recurring tasks
    3. No grouping of tasks
    4. Prioritization of tasks is a joke
    5. Updating appointments with invitations doesn't update responses, and doesn't reset responses when the time shifts.

Honestly, the list goes on and on and on. And I am not confusing it with a calendar maker. As I said, it is missing simple and basic calendaring functionality found in every calendar program since 1992.

13. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

14. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

These are just not true.

Are multiple calendar files not enough to address this?

Can't say much here, as they both apply to functionality that I don't use.

15. iGary Guest

iGary

I use it wirth my Treo 600, and it works flawlessly.

MORE COLORS for the calendars please (or someone tell me what I am doing wrong).

I have like 12 different calendars. Ran out of colors. :(

16. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Actually, this is probably the only real complaint I have with iCal. An option to create custom colors would be killer.

Then again ... I don't think Apple thought anyone woul dhave 15 calendars at once. :)

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL, we clearly need Queer Eye for the Straight Cal to do some interior decorating on that thing! :D

Gary, I actually *do* have an answer for you. After you create the calendar, click on it in the list of calendars on the left. You will get info on the calendar in the info box, and there will be a rectangle with the color to the right of the cal name. If you click the rectangle, you can not only change the color post-hoc, but you can use the Apple color palette to pick any color you want in all the usual ways (crayola, etc).

:)

Personally, I didn't think that much had changed in iCal, but it seems to have most of what I want. It supposedly now automatically harvests invitations from Mail. And I never used tasks that much. But little things like better options for snoozing a reminder are very nice.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Good news.

You've always been able to choose any colour you want for a calendar. Just select the calendar as normal, and then select custom. It comes up with four (from memory) different methods of picking colours including a gradient wheel, crayons, RGB ratios and another one I think.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

20. iGary Guest

iGary

Awesome, you're my hero of the day. I do have like 12 or more calendars, and I'm on a mission to get myself bette rorganized with a ne Treo 600, so the more I know the better. Got to check out a book, I think.

Thanks!
    :D

21. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I'll be damned. Thanks, man.

I have no idea why I never saw that before. It's even in iCal 1.5.

Thanks again.

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Any time! :) Some people however, were complaining during the brief life of 10.3.9 that the month view sucked, because it doesn't have a good way of showing you any informative info, unless you have a huge monitor and you make the window insanely large. Which I can say has unfortunately not really changed. :(

And that it didn't print well. With which I have not played. Anyone play with this?

23. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

I'd like to know specifically if iCal 2 can:

1) shift several events later in the day without having to move them one by one

2) copy and past several events from different calendars to another day without them all turning into the same calendar.

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, and no, as far as I can tell.

25. notkevin macrumors member

If it would sync with exchange (with out 3rd party add ons) it would be perfect for me.