iCal 2 seems to be on the horizon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chameeeleon, Jan 20, 2005.

1. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

For all of you who have joined me in desperately waiting for an iCal overhaul, macosxrumors has some promising news! The latest version of the Tiger builds sports iCal renumbered to 2.0, although nothing new has been seen. Hopefully the next build, or final release, will include the changes! Although I thought Apple would've scared off those getting the Tiger builds from leaking this kind of info...

2. gopher macrumors 65816

Here's to hoping they finally learn that people want to print To Do lists and search To Do lists in addition to the main calendar and that calendars take up more than one page. Please everyone post here if you want those results and others in iCal 2.0:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ical.html

3. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

What a tease. A bump to 2.0, but not the functionality to warrant it. Apple's worst app remains that way.

Looks like Tiger still has a way to go given the issues with spotlight & major apps. I am glad Apple is taking their time to get it done right. June can't come soon enough.

4. chameeeleon thread starter macrumors 6502

I remember reading in AppleInsider that To Do lists could be searched now, and that tasks could easily be dragged back and forth between the calendar, and calendar events can be dragged from the calendar to the task space, which I think was moved. Plus they added calendar groups. Not that much (definitely not to warrant a whole new version - I feel there's more down the road), but an improvement at least.

5. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

The funny thing is that although iCal is considered to be one of the worse apps from Apple this thread hasn't gotten a lot of responses. So generally I'd say people are pretty content with what iCal offers.

6. dcollierp macrumors member

I'm ready to see more print and search options in iCal. I like some of the functionality in Palm Desktop.

7. gopher macrumors 65816

It hasn't been released yet, and you are panning Apple for not doing features in something that hasn't been released. As I say, you have a chance in making a difference by giving Apple feedback in my former post in this thread. Please do so, if you want something different. If you just want to whine and complain, your comments are not appreciated, and show you to be a troll.

8. peterparsley macrumors newbie

Cut the guy some slack, will you. He is entitled to be dissatisfied with iCal and say so on these forums. We are discussing an application, aren't we?

Anyways, have a nice weekend everyone

9. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

The way I see this... Apple has a chance here to redeem themselves to everyone who feels iCal is underpowered. But until its released, we can't really gripe too much. Remember we're only following progress of an unreleased app. And I'm sure the iCal team has advanced more than we know since they work on this constantly and we only hear about builds every few weeks.

When Apple ships Tiger w/iCal 2.0 then we can bitch IF it sucks. :)
    (But I hope they get it right... please apple please)

10. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

1. I have (legal) access to Tiger betas. I know what I am talking about.

2. I have as mentioned in the linked thread, I have sent feedback on numerous to Apple on iCal for 3 years. I have tried to be part of the solution.

3. Calling me a Troll? You must be new here. I don't think any of the regulars here would agree with you. I am big Apple supporter.

Get some people skills kid. And understand I am entitled to my opinion.

11. gopher macrumors 65816

Umm...somehow I think you just voided your legal access to it by admitting it. It is called a non-disclosure agreement.

You are entitled to your opinion. However talking about unreleased software as if you know it is going to be bad when it is released even if you do have have a legal copy to it, is bordering on sharing company trade secrets. I suggest that if you are indeed a holder of a legal copy of it, to make as many bug reports on it so it doesn't end up being in bad shape when it gets released. As a legal holder of of the beta, you should tell Apple as much as you can what can be improved about its software.

12. gopher macrumors 65816

I might add, I'm sorry if you feel upset at the accusations, but you open yourself up to them by:

1. Expounding that a software product that hasn't been released is not going to be released in decent form.

2. Expounding that you are a legal holder of the prerelease version of the said software.

3. Stating things about the software product which could be seen as a breaking of the non-disclosure agreement since nobody knows what will be in the software product who hasn't signed the non-disclosure agreement.

So my suggestion is, until the final product is release, hold off on accusing Apple of not releasing a good product in its final release. It is akin to blaming a weather forecaster for messing up a forecast before the storm has passed your town.

As for people skills, yes, maybe I do need them. But there is one thing I dislike and that's dishonest blasphemy of a product. Please try to remain honest, and be constructive to the company by honoring those non-disclosure agreements and helping them release a better product while there still is a chance, and you won't see me come charging in with complaints about your statements.

13. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

OK, this is just stupid. And I feel bad for slapping back to a stupid comment but being called a troll is just flame bait. But I know better.

So, yes, I guess I should wait to the final product. Fair enough.

And no, I didn't violate any NDA by stating my opinion on moves by Apple.

And yes, I spend hours of my time giving Apple feedback directly.

And I love my brothers and sisters of Macrumors.

14. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Personally I've always been pretty pleased with iCal. But that's because I have never owned a PDA nor used any PIM program ever before. I always used to keep my appointments by good old pen and paper. When I switched to Macs a year and a half ago, I thought I might as well give iCal a go as it was there. (I do have Entourage too, but I never touch that - looks too complicated and doesn't integrate with my Address Book, etc).

So I like iCal because I don't know any better. But I do agree there are little things that could be improved and I'm sure they will be in time. I'm only just starting to see the power of repeated appointments and alarms though.

A final thought: I've always thought iCal updates were independent of OS - now it looks like if you want iCal 2 you're going to have to shell out for Tiger.

15. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

iCal is the worst Application from Apple! At least, in my opinion. It's a headache from start to finish, blech.

16. misr12 macrumors newbie

Worst App I think not

Your your specific needs I will agree. But for me and my business iCal does things no other PIM/Calendar can do. The web calendar feature has helped me in my business beyond any other software I have ever purchased. For competitive reasons I cannot comment. Witht the flexibility of web publishing of calendars makes this very unique to iCal. You can't do this in entourage. You can web publish but it for every category in Entourage. With iCal you can have separate calendars and publish just those calendars. I will not move away from this for this specific reason. If Apple upgrades to iCal 2.0 and takes away this feature I will stay with Panther and iCal 1.5.2.

17. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The web calendar publishing feature is a tie-in to Apple's .Mac service. If they removed it, they'd get rid of the .Mac functionality too, so that even going to iCal 1.whatever wouldn't help. Apple isn't THAT stupid, though - they know how many of their .Mac subscribers use the web calendar publishing feature, and they also know that some users would like improvements made to it on the .Mac side. Therefore, don't expect this particular feature to be going away unless .Mac goes away. BTW, I use the iCal web publishing feature, and it works great. I just wish there was a way for you (or even other people, with your permission) to edit the web-based version of your iCal calendar, then sync the changes to iCal.

18. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Simple request

I would dance a jig in church if Apple would write into iCal Ver 2.0 a conduit setting that would sync an appointment LOCATION to my handheld device.

It does me little good to know WHEN and with WHOM I am meeting if I don't also know WHERE the friggin' appopintment is taking place.

This seems like such a simple thing.

I've used the feedback form to suggest this - I hope they listen up. Apple computers are generally very user friendly and intuitve - but this is just dumb. It forces me to type the location into the event title - which makes for some pretty lengthy event descriptions. I expect more out of Apple - so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

19. Arnel macrumors member

I'd like to see the Calendar widget from the new iPhoto make an appearance in iCal - with that they could get rid of the Day/Week/Month toggle completely, as you can select all of those directly from the calendar. It works brilliantly in iPhoto, so I can't see a reason they wouldn't want to bring it across.

Also, having all days with events scheduled shown in bold on the calendar (again, as in iPhoto's calendar) would be another benefit.

Neil.
    a.k.a. Arnel

20. bkazez macrumors newbie

iCal Events 2.0 released

I've just released a new version (2.0) of iCal Events! It now allows multiple calendars in the same widget, among other things.

http://benkazez.com/icalevents/

21. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I would like to see greater printing options...
    I would liek to see better web based interfaces.
    I'd like to be able to publish all my calendars ontop of each other - so that only I can view them securely in .Mac.

WIth .Mac syncing other areas - why can't I see my calendars in my .Mac just like I have them in iCal?

I don't necessarily want the entire world to see them - but when I'm not near my PB I'd love to be able to!

22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I love iCal. An update would be awsome, hopefully the dock icon will show the right date :rolleyes:

23. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I totally agree with this one, you can access your contacts in you address book when logged into mac.com, I can't see why you shouldn't be able to see your calendar too.

24. wtmcgee macrumors regular

Very nice update! Thank you so much!!!