iCal as Desktop Picture?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oldschool, Oct 14, 2003.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

Could there be any way to have iCal as my desktop picture? That way I wouldn't have to keep opening the app, and could have a quick and easy reference.

now THAT would be a nice feature...imhaho

2. doctorhook macrumors member

In the utilities folder of your Applications folder (OS X) there should be a utility called "Grab". You can use this to select which part of your screen you want to Grab and it saves it to the desktop. You can use Photoshop,etc. to enlarge, crop and so forth.

doctorkook

3. Bear macrumors G3

Re: iCal as Desktop Picture?

On the iCal page on Apple's website, there is a feedback link. Use it.

While I wouldn't be using it, I can see where enough people might use it to make it worth Apple's time to implement it.

4. radhak macrumors regular

Correct me if i am wrong, but this would only give you a screen shot of iCal as of that moment. If i understood Oldschool's wish (or even the way i would love it), it would be great only if this background kept updating periodically (say, everyday as of 6am) and/or at the click of a button, to display the latest calendar.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Suggest it to Apple thru the iCal page on their website. If everyone who wanted it suggested it, Apple would have a clue if it was worth their time. [This actually applies to any new feature for Apple software. Make enhancement suggestions.]

And I agree with your interpretation of the original post.

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Can OS X do internet desktops, like Windows?

If so, you could publish your calendar online and use that...

Kev

7. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

great replys...the screenshot idea just might work.

while i don't know how to use applescript all that well, is there any way of mmaybe writing a script to do this updating periodically? and great idea about suggesting it to apple...i'll do just that.

8. mrnoone macrumors newbie

perhaps a widget?

Perhaps this would make an excellent Widget for Konfabulator. I recommend submitting it to their site also.

I just started to play around with programming on OSX, so if I learn fast enough I will do it myself. I am kinda waiting for XCODE to come out before getting TOO into it.

9. doctorhook macrumors member

You want a click of the button:
    While your calendar is up click on the YELLOW button at the top left (between the red & green) and it will fly into the dock. Just click on it there and Voila! No programming, no hassels.

10. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

Damn man..i didn't even think of that...great idea...i'll do my monthly calendar like that.

THANK YOU

11. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

Yeah but then the program is open...i just think (as do other people who replied) that it would be a nice feature to have.

Your sarcasm isn't appreciated. I think everyone here knows what the minimize button does.

12. doctorhook macrumors member

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic buddy, I was merely offering you a suggestion for something which could work until your little pet peve is officially scantified and satisfied. You don't have to keep opening it if it's already open, eh? The suggestions I have made conform very well to your origional post.
    Sorry.

13. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

what would be nice is the ability to click a menubar icon and be able to edit the calendar on the desktop. that way it would always be visible and editable at will.

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

with apps like DeskShade doing all sorts of funky stuff to the desktop, i wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of iCal feature like this if there's enough demand for it...

15. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

Its not a pet peve BUDDY... and everyone knows how to minimize a window.