iCal custom updating icons

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mal, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Does anyone know how iCal updates the icon to show the current date while it's running? I made a custom replacement icon, but the month doesn't show up (white on white) and it's somewhat off center, so I thought I could make it look really good if I could change some of the programming and set it up so it's at least all the right color and possibly even positioned correctly. I dunno if it's possible, but it could look really cool.

jW

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well the way the icon works is that in the package contents of iCal there is a little blank icon that it updated with the date when its opened. basically the Calender sans date. so to make one that works alright with the app, you'd have to make it blank. and let it be updated when the app is opened and such, although i have tried this before and it doesn't always work for some reason or another. its just a huge pain and i wish Apple would sort it out.

3. Mal thread starter macrumors 603

Mal

No, I did that part. I want to change the actual month and date part too. The first part is easy, you just replace App-empty.icns within iCal.app and it pastes the date on whatever icon you put in there. It just doesn't look quite right and I want to change the color and position of the date instead of sticking with Apple's choice (since it's designed for the calendar instead of my icon).

jW