iCal has joined the crashing party too

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by buckuxc, Sep 7, 2004.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

As a follow up to my AOL IM crashing post, I now happy to report that iCal is crashing unexpectedly as well :( . AOL IM has been doing it pretty consistently no matter what utilities I use (Disk Utility and MacJanitor are the ones I use). However, now I'm wondering if there's a larger problem. I have had other programs "quit unexpectedly" on me, but rarely. Just after I posted about AOL IM doing it all the time, I started using iCal and it crashed twice within 5 minutes. Sending a report to Apple does absolutely nothing. Does anyone have any ideas???

I will say that despite having more memory, one possible problem is that my hard drive (60GB) is almost completely full...like it has around 1GB free on it. I plan to purchase a new 80GB hard drive (I wish they could get laptop drives up to 100 by now) soon, but just don't have the money right at this moment. The thing is, though, back when I had a PC running Windows XP, I didn't have problems with my computer applications crashing all the time because of a full hard drive. The computer ran more slowly perhaps, and yes it did crash, but I don't believe it was the amount of stuff on the hard drive that did it. :confused:

Should I buy any other utilities? I personally think it's worth it to get a disk optimizing one (is TechTools the name of it?). Are there any other ways to figure out what is causing applications to crash? I'm using a 12" 1GHz G4 Powerbook with 512MB of memory (again, soon to be upgraded to at least 1GB if not 1.25 GB, or however one would type 1GB + 256MB).

Thanks,

sps

Thanks.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Mac OS X starts getting uppity if you leave it less than about 8-10GB for swapfile and such. With only 1 GB free on your boot drive, I'm shocked that your computer runs at all! :eek:

3. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

8-10GB's for a swap file?!?!?! HOLY *@#$!!! No wonder...

What do I do until some mastermind finally figures out away to store 100GB in laptop drive? I guess I can go out and get one of those small 20-40GB carry around drives...a little pain in the butt, but even 80GB's won't last me forever. Hard drive space is like time in one's day...if there's empty space, it won't exist for long...

sps

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Dude.

Archive some stuff to CDs/DVDs. Or use stuffit to compress nonessential files. I don't think you'd fare much better with 1 GB free on a WinXP system.

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

8-10 GB? Easy there. I haven't had 8-10 GB free in over a year and I never have any problems. I haven't had over 2 GB free in that time.

QUESTION: Does the problem occur when a dialog box pops up in whatever program and you click a button?

6. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

Not really. As far as I can tell it happens pretty randomly. Usually if I'm trying to do an action, but at the same time AOL IM has also just literally disappeared with no seeming cause. iCal crashed both times when I tried to add a repeat function to an event. It hasn't crashed again since it did it the second time, about an hour ago.

sps

7. howard macrumors 68020

howard

aint that the truth

i was so used to a 10 gig hard drive about 3 years ago. then i got a 40 gig onboard/40 gig pocket and 120 gig external drive. i thought what am i gonna do with all this space!!... a few months later and it was all filled up.

8. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Ditttttttto. 8 - 10 is a little overboard. I only have about 6 gig free right now on this laptop. I used it for a year with no problems with less than 3 gig.

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Try using a different account to see if the programs crash there. If not, it's probably just your preferences.