iCal: Help me *fully* switch

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skinnylegs, Feb 24, 2007.

1. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I switched about 6 months ago (20" iMac) and haven't looked back. OS X, iLife, the Mac community.....its all been good! I even have a preorder in for an :apple: TV which will hopefully be here next week and yeah.....count me in as one of the first kids on the block for an iPhone. ;)

I do have one dilemma.....

I have used Lotus Organizer for my customer database and calendaring for years. I would *love* to use iCal for calendaring but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to get it to do what I want it to do.

Herein lies the problem.....

I am a "task" oriented 'kinda guy. I never enter appointments at designated times. On the contrary, I enter tasks for each day. Furthermore, if I do have an appointment I still enter it as a task and add @ <enter time> after the task. For instance, I may enter Jill @ Bennigans @ 6 as a task. I think you get the point.

Lotus Organizer is organized in such a way that it will, among other things, show "Month View" or "Daily Planner". When I want to see what's coming up for the month I choose.....you guessed it....."Month View." When I am organizing my daily schedule I choose.....you guessed it again....."Day Planner View."

Here is a little snippet of the general layout of Lotus Organizer which shows the option of entering stuff either at designated times or as a task.....

[​IMG]

Furthermore, tasks are colored either green (scheduled for today but not yet completed), red (schduled for a previous day and not yet completed), black (completed tasks) or blue (if you're looking in "Month View" and it is an upcoming task). In other words, I can open "Month View" and get a visual cue (black, green, blue or red) as to tasks that are either completed, scheduled for today, overdue or upcoming. Here is a snippet showing the month view and color cues. BTW....there are no red entries 'cause I'm current on my tasks. :D

[​IMG]

You will notice the "Done" box to the left of the task.....

[​IMG]

When I complete a task it changes the color of the text to black as the task is now completed.

Now that I have *completely* bored you.....

I would love to be able to ditch Lotus Organizer for iCal but I can't seem to find a similar system within iCal that works. Specifically, I would like to differentiate between completed, upcoming, overdue and current tasks by way of color. I would also like overdue tasks to automatically forward to the next day. There is one more thing. I have certain reoccuring tasks. For instance, I have payroll on each and every friday. I would like to be able to change the current friday task (and color) to completed status without changing all of the future ones to a different color.

I hope this hasn't been too confusing. I'm also hoping there may be one saint out there who is willing to take the time to help me with my little dilemma.

2. Frisco macrumors 68020

3. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Thank you sooooo much, Frisco! I'm 'gonna dl the demo for Daylite 3 which seems like it might solve all of my problems! I'll let 'ya know how it works out.

4. rickb macrumors newbie

I'm also hoping for better iCal features in 10.5.

FYI, from iCal help you can actually get to the iCal website and submit feature requests (not sure who it goes to but I havent noticed this with any other apps) and there is a forum there as well.

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=903

5. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Thanks for the heads up, rickb!

If you are looking for a tightly integrated calendaring/database program, you might want to check out http://www.marketcircle.com/daylite/index.html which Frisco referred me to. Calendaring is very similar to iCal and their database provides for printing of address labels which was a critical issue for me. The final verdict isn't in yet as I am just now fooling around with it but so far it looks pretty solid.