iCal, iCant

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Si, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Si macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2001
    The iCal sounds really brill' especially coz U can upload your calendar and let others view/add etc. to it, but you need to have an iTool, oops sorry, .mac account. Why?
    Is it not possible to let people create these calendars and then add it to their own bit of webspace (exported as some small applet or other) and let others view it that way. People would still need a mac to create the calendar in the first place, but then they could allow all their PeeCee friends to add to it and do this for free, a bit like a mailing list. Oh! I get it, it's all about making money, like Jobs says "it is a dig at Microsoft", we'll do it and also charge just like they are going to.
    A can see mac people going "look at my calendar", you can view it for free, but I have to pay $99 to give you the privelige!!!
    Come on Apple, let's do it for free and then you can really have a dig at Microsoft.
  2. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Jan 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Re: iCal, iCant

From Apple's site:

iCal will be available as a free download this September and requires Mac OS X version 10.2 “Jaguar.” Publishing calendars on the Internet requires a .Mac membership or a WebDAV server.

OR a WebDAV server. You don't necessarily need a .Mac account. So quit whining that you have too pay 99$ for the privelege whine whine whine.

There's options. Maybe not the best options, but options nonetheless.......Do you whine that "My PowerMac HAS to run OS X. And if I want Jaguar, I have to pay $129 for the privelege." do ya????? God. You people act as if Apple is a charitable organization out there only to please you. They're a company, and you wouldn't have your pretty iMac or tiBook or whatever if it weren't for, GASP, profits.

Quit it. Now. No whining.
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Personally, I don't know why I'd want to share my calendar online. But that's me. Hell, I don't even have a calendar, pda, or organizer.

What day is it?
  4. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Jan 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Monday i think. It feels like monday. Maybe saturday....i'm hungover. Yea. friday drinking, saturday hangover. HAS to be saturday

and yea, I wouldn't want ANYONE to know where they can find me,. :)
  5. peterjhill macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Good news about iCal is that it supports snycML, the XML based sync protocol. I will be using iCal to get my calendar on my future 20GB iPod (come on payday!). We use Corporate Time at work to schedule meetings. It is very nice, but does not currently support syncML. It will export .ics files, which in the demo during the expo, I saw they used as a file format for import/export. I doubt that I would be able to use iCal to connect to our calendar server and check coworkers schedules (not using iCal, or a Mac for that matter) and find the best time to schedule a meeting, and send an email to everyone, and let me know when they have confirmed the meeting.

iCal is nice as a personal calendar, but I needs some major crossplatform action to make it into the Enterprise world (and I am not talking about StarTrek ;-) )