ical, iChat problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gsharma88, Aug 20, 2006.

1. gsharma88 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just bought an used iBook couple of days ago. Ever since, I've been experiencing problems. When I click on the iCal icon in the Dock, it just bounces again and again for a minute or two, and then nothing comes up. And the same happens for iChat too. I've never ever seen these 2 apps ever since I bought this.

Anyone has any tips on what the problem/solutions could be?

Gaurav

2. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

What happens if you click those icons in the applications' folder, rather than in the dock? Same thing? If it works from the applications' folder, then remove the icons from the dock and replace them with the icons in your applications' folder. Hope that helps. Alternatively, you might need to reinstall those apps. Did you receive the reinstall discs with your purchase?

3. gsharma88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried doing that from the applications folder. The exact same thing happens. Any other alternative, as I don't have the restore cds? I tried making a new user account, but that didn't help (it used to solve problems more often not in windows, maybe in a mac, it's different)

Gaurav

4. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

Does other software run alright?
    Is your system software up to date?
    What version of OS X are you running?
    try deleting ichat and downloading a new copy from http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ichatav.html
    also, if you are running anything older than OS 10.4, iCal is a free download.
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ical.html

if you have 10.4 then maybe someone on here would be kind enough to send you a copy via the new and working version of iChat you hopefully just downloaded.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

What type of iBook and OS X are you running?

6. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

Launch Console (it is in Applications/Utilities) and check what errors are reported in console.log and system.log files.
    It might help to find out the reason those programs aren't working.