iCal problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gohome190, Feb 27, 2007.

1. gohome190 macrumors regular

gohome190

I have an iMac G3 400 running 10.3.9

I have iCal (a great app) in the Dock. But, the icon always displays the date as July 17. The computer is set at the correct date, and when I open iCal, the icon changes to the correct date!

This is very confusing, since I would like to just look down to see the date.

Also, I've tried to follow MacRumors' guide to installing programs, but I can't seem to install any programs correctly. For example, i downloaded Firefox and a game from apple.com (motox?). They both come with two icons. I move the .dmg one to the APPs folder... then it dos its thing. When done, I click on the icon, only for it to jump out at me and not open.

Thanks for the future help!

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Two simple fixes- iCal won't show the current date unless open so just open the program by double clicking...then close the window when you don't want it on your desktop but leave the app running- the correct date will show. The bonus is that iCal will open much quicker from now often if you don't quit it but instead just close the calendar window with the red dot or minimizE it by the yellow dot.

There is also a way to make the desktop show the time/date in the preferences under the blue apple menu- check it out. go to "date and time" preference...then click clock tab...then select show time in window instead of menu bar. Then you can move the date box to where ever you want on the screen. It should stay on top.

Also, to install apps double click the dmg file and another folder will show up that you then drag to the app folder. Then trash the dmg file. That is it. Simple fixes- let us know if you need more help.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

FYI, it displays July 17th because iCal debuted on that date in 2002 at Macworld Expo New York.

4. gohome190 thread starter macrumors regular

gohome190

I have to say this: the mac community is soooo much more helpful than the windows commun. They bark at you to figure it out. You guys are... awesome!

5. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

The iCal icon in the dock always shows the date as being July 17th, unless the application is running. A bit annoying, but there you go. You can have iCal startup on boot by adding it to your list of login items. Check out System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items. Note that on OS X, closing an application window does not necessarily close the application - so when you subsequentley close the iCal window, your dock icon will still show today's date.

Some applications are downloaded as .dmg files, as you've discovered. dmg stands for disk image. Basically, the operating system treats this file like a storage volume (imagine it to be a USB Flash Memory Drive, but invisible:p ), which mounts (ie, it appears on the desktop - yup - as another icon - often a white one) when you double click on it. Your application will be in the disk image (the new icon). If the file in the disk image ends in .app, you can just drag it to the Application folder. If not, you may need to run an installer which will copy the the relevant files to the relevant places for you.

When you've finished installing, drag the disk image to the trashcan to "eject" it. You can also safely delete the .dmg file, and/or archive it if you think you might need it later.

HTH
    SL

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

It is an awesome community- however there are still those barkers on here!:D