iCal question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ScotRobson, Oct 26, 2004.

1. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Hi

I am just trying to use iCal for the first time. To start with I wanted to put my shifts on there and publish the calander so my mates can see when im working and when im off.

It took me ages to go through and add each day what im doing. I work on a 6 on 4 off shift pattern and couldnt find a way for me days off to reoccur every 6 days in a block of 4!

Anyway when I published the calander to .mac I went to view it and all the times are totally wrong - they are nothing like what i have entered in iCal

For example iCal on the 30th October is showing me doing a Early 10.00 - 20.00 - when I view this date on .mac it is showing 18.00 - 03.00

Also it has kindly given me an extra day off in one of my blocks of 6 working!

So basically i think its a load of S*%t so far!

Has anyone else had any problems like this or used it successfully?

Thanks
    Scot

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sounds like the time zones are messed up - when you view it in a browser, it should show the zone in the top right - is it accurate? Also, in System Preferences...->Date & Time->Time Zone (on your Mac), is that accurate?

I still don't know why a 10-20 (10 hours) would turn into an 18-3 (9 hours).

3. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

The browser only shows the current date followed by Europe/London so i presume thats right and yeah the date and time on my Mac are right. The thing is it has also moved my days around so its not just a time issue.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm at a loss to explain it then. I use iCal very infrequently. My best guess is that your Mac is trying to reschedule your time because it doesn't want you gone 6 days in a row. ;)

Out of idle curiosity, does your schedule still show up OK in iCal itself? Have you tried unpublishing it and then republishing?

5. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL - I know my Mac misses me :)

the schedule shows fine in iCal itself and ive just tried to unpublish and republish and still having the same problems

take a look

http://ical.mac.com/WebObjects/iCal.woa/wa/default?d=1&u=scotrobson&v=1&y=2004&m=10&n=Scot.ics

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, FWIW, it looks the same in iCal (webcal://ical.mac.com/scotrobson/Scot.ics) as it does on the web. What days are off, and what should they show as proper times (just one example would be fine)?

7. Logik macrumors 6502a

I haven't had a single problem with iCal, works great! I have no idea why you say it took you forever because i can literally add anything into my calendar in a matter of 20 seconds for each one.. you realize that if your shifts are the same you can hit command+d and it duplicates it, then you can drag that duplicated item to anywhere in the calendar right? so if you always work 10 hour shifts, then simply create 1 example, command+d, drag to the next day, command+d, drag to the next day, and so on.. literally if you know your schedule and you're always the same shift length you should be able to do an entire month in like no less than 2 minutes.

8. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok its 6 on 4 off - from this Saturday I start my 6 on again - as i said before 2 early 2 late 2 nights (or maybe i didnt)

Early shift 10.00 to 19.00
    Lates 14.00 24.00 (on iCal i had to type 00.00 and change the date to the next day for the finish time)

Nights are 19.00 to 03.00