iCal when moving to Tiger, help please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by efoto, Aug 18, 2005.

1. efoto macrumors 68030

I finally got around to moving to Tiger tonight after having the box in my room for nearly a month :p

I got most of my things carried over and in place (A&E install) however none of my calendars or appointments carried over into iCal for some reason. I moved all the same files (same places) that I moved for Address Book, and all my contacts were moved there, but not to iCal. Any ideas? I kind of need those calendars....thanks.

2. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I had to do this when I reinstalled Tiger.

Not sure if this works from panther to tiger. But this is what I had to do.

Locate the 2 iCal folders:
    1. user/library/application support/iCal
    2. user/library/caches/Metadata/iCal

Replace these files with the older ones that you hopefully have backed up.

If this doesn't work I hope you exported the icals before you installed tiger...

Other than this I have nothing else to add...

Nuc

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In Tiger's version of iCal, there is an awesome feature whereby you "Back up database" from the File menu which is great for people with more than one Mac. I can't remember if it's in the Panther version though, sorry. Hopefully it is.

4. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

I see that in the Tiger version, but since I was doing A&E I just assumed it would be there to copy over from Panther so I never looked into actually backing it up seperately since I was placing faith in the Archieve...guess that was silly.

I cannot seem to find the old metadata caches...which sucks. I carried over all other iCal related files I could find, still nothing. Any more ideas out there?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm pretty sure that in Panther, the libraries are saved as separate .ics files in

~/library/calendars

Or something similar to that. You can just import those files directly into iCal -- they should still be hanging around from your archive.

And frankly, eFoto, I'm shocked that you've been letting us hog all the crashes and instability and haven't gotten in on the fun yourself. :p

6. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

Excellent, funny thing is I had moved all of those .ics files, I just never thought of clicking them to import them. Quick little spotlight search for ".ics" and they all popped up, dbl-click and boom, imported like that. Thank you all for the help, the transition is complete without hitch (save for user delays :rolleyes: )

As far as letting you hog all the crashes, it wasn't because I was even waiting for things to clear up or out, I just didn't have the time or when I did, lacked the motivation to actually go through with it. Today, all I had was an 8-10 lecture in the morning, nothing else all day so I finally bit the bullet and did it, after arranging the old system and backing up my files (for normal bi-monthly burn). Thanks for fixing everything in my leave though, I appreciate it running smooth now :D

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Haha, glad it worked.

And FWIW, my system is finally pretty stable now. There's one thing left that will make it KP, which shouldn't, and so I just avoid that one thing, and I appear to be good. Although, ahem, I did have a KP earlier this week because of that one stupid thing. *grumbles* I still don't understand why my BT mouse can wake up a closed iBook, regardless of the setting....

8. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

Is that *wake on BT* setting what causes it to KP or something else? That entire post I was waiting to hear what the cause was....I'm at the edge of my seat, especially if it is likely to KP me too! :eek:

I have only had 1 KP to date on my PB, which has been running since mid-March of this year nearly non-stop, save for a few nights in France where it was actually sleeping at night, but now it hardly ever is not doing something.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's a combination of wake on BT and something specific to my iBook. It used to be that you could have this setting on, I'm fairly sure, in Panther, and an iBook would not be woken from sleep unless it was open. In Tiger, it doesn't crash consistently when this happens, but for me the rate is close to 50% or more, if the mouse is disturbed while the computer is closed, it KP's on wake.

I tried changing the setting back to don't wake, but I think then the problem is that the BT mouse is dead for >10 seconds on wake....

Well, we'll see. I hope it doesn't effect you at all.

10. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

It doesn't effect me at the moment, no BT mice floating around. If/when Apple releases a Mighty Mouse BT I'll probably bite however, and then I hope that wouldn't happen to me. Although, when I think of the times I would use a BT mouse and where, I usually don't close the display, if it sleeps it is only because I neglected it for so long, so hopefully I just never run into that issue.

I hope you figure something out, KP on wake would be quite the annoyance :mad: