icare for Ibook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Myradon, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Myradon macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2005
    I will be ordering in a weeks time, now do I set 300 aside for the apple care program or skip on it? I have ussualy found extended warrenty programs are less that useful as most of my devices out live the warrenty period. Has annyone made use of Apple care, or purchased it and had no trouble?
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
  3. auxplage macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    I would not get APPLE CARE until a few months to see if this machine will have any problems. You can buy Apple Care within a year of your purchase.
  4. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    I'm sure there are tons of people who bought Apple care and never had a problem with their computer, it is just a safety thing. I personally never get it. I figure that most of the hardware problems with happen within the first year.
  5. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2004
    Think of it as an insurance. Most people won't have any problems. But some people enjoy that safety net just in case their computer is the statistic they're betting against.
  6. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    If you have the money i say buy it. Its like air. Its not important when you dont need it. But when you do need it it becomes really important. Haha good example guys? Oh well, buy it! lol ;) :D
  7. matthewr macrumors member

Jun 17, 2004
    How Long Do You Plan On Keeping Your iBook?

I think part of the question is how long you plan on keeping your computer. My computers tend to last 3-4 years before I replace them, and I've found AppleCare to be quite useful - on my Pismo, I had the powercord replaced 3 times and the CD drive replace once, all after the original warranty expired, but before the AppleCare did. All the replacements were under AppleCare, so it definitely paid for itself.

I should probably add that AppleCare is the only extended warranty I ever buy. I guess I just think the safety is worth it on an expensive machine that I take pretty much everywhere and use every day.
  8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Hello, I just bought Applecare for my iBook and I did so because of the mobile aspect. The one Mac that I didn't get Applecare for gave me trouble all the time. If you look at it like this $10 or less (depends where you live) a month for 3 yrs. that covers most things execpt if you drop it or spill your drink on it is worth the cost since most will buy a new Mac at the end of the Applecare. Any troubles and one can call for free and if that can't help you a repair with no charge is always a big relief.
  9. hexcalibur macrumors member

Jun 19, 2003
    applecare is worthwhile (to me)

My 20-month-old powerbook is in the shop right now getting a faulty combo drive replaced. They repaired it a couple of months ago but it quit again. Total cost to me: $0

The extended warranty looks like a lot of wasted money IF your computer works perfectly for three years. As soon as something breaks, the warranty will probably pay for itself instantly. If your screen fails, for example, it's a $600 repair.

I'm not sure how I'd do my job without my powerbook; it's that important to me. AppleCare is simply peace of mind. I'll probably sell the laptop with 6 or 8 months left on the warranty, and the fact that it's transferable definitely ups the resale value. Imagine buying a second-hand laptop that comes with a full six-month warranty.

I'd say AppleCare is expensive, but for me it's money well spent.
  10. comictimes macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Berkeley, California
    since you're going for an iBook, I'd say skip it. I'm not insulting ibooks or anything, it's just that, as a general rule, they're unbelievably durable, and just don't break much- at least I've never known someone whose ibook had many, if any, issues. If you were getting a powerbook, however, I would definitely say to put aside the money, because these things (at least from my experience) have things go wrong fairly often...