Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
This is more of an informational post, not a question. I've got two kids, one 9 and one 4 so invariably the show iCarly is on during the day or weekend.

I bring this up because you may not know it, but the producer, Dan Schneider is an Apple fan. Because of copyright, all the computers you see in his shows are "Pear" computers. Really, it's just a skin placed over most of what seem to be MacBooks. In one episode, one of the characters got a job at the Pear store, there is mention of a Pear phone, etc. It's all pretty obvious that it's Apple.

Attached is a picture of the bedroom of one of the characters in the show. The character loves computers and particularly the Pear computers that are in the show. Sorry for the quality but if you look you can see no less than four iMacs, a G4 MDD and what is either a Mac Pro or a G5. On small shelfs above are four laptops. I've paused this when the episode was on so I know that there are a couple of G4 PowerBooks and an iBook. Don't know what the other was.

I just thought it was pretty cool to see all these Macs in one spot on TV.

Attachments

• 82015167.jpg
    82015167.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 2,126

PowerMacFan

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
This is more of an informational post, not a question. I've got two kids, one 9 and one 4 so invariably the show iCarly is on during the day or weekend.

I bring this up because you may not know it, but the producer, Dan Schneider is an Apple fan. Because of copyright, all the computers you see in his shows are "Pear" computers. Really, it's just a skin placed over most of what seem to be MacBooks. In one episode, one of the characters got a job at the Pear store, there is mention of a Pear phone, etc. It's all pretty obvious that it's Apple.

Attached is a picture of the bedroom of one of the characters in the show. The character loves computers and particularly the Pear computers that are in the show. Sorry for the quality but if you look you can see no less than four iMacs, a G4 MDD and what is either a Mac Pro or a G5. On small shelfs above are four laptops. I've paused this when the episode was on so I know that there are a couple of G4 PowerBooks and an iBook. Don't know what the other was.

I just thought it was pretty cool to see all these Macs in one spot on TV.

I do believe under the desk on the far left is a eMac and the one next to that is a G5 as Mac Pros have two optical Drive bays but i am not sure what one is next to the MDD on the far right.

P.S i think the one next to the MDD is either a iMac G5 or 1st gen Intel iMac.

BTW i do watch iCarly infact the final season is on now. Can you tell me what episode this is as i never recalled seeing this and i have seen every episode. Maybe i turn my head for a second when this was shown or perhaps i even missed this episode as it is no on consistantly.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Wow, thats a good collection right there! With a name like iCarly, I would have hoped a Mac or two would make the set, but thats going above and beyond in a good way.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, you're right on the eMac. Should have looked a bit closer.

This is Season 3, episode 9 (or 10, there seems to be some discrepency). "iSaved Your Life."

It's actually two scenes between Carly and Freddie that happen here. In getting the screen cap I was trying to find a scene that didn't have the actors in the frame or in front of the Macs. The Macs are only on screen for a few seconds in each cut so if you are turning away for a moment you will indeed miss them.

I'm always on the lookout for Macs in TV shows so I was able to catch it.

Last edited:

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY

I remember seeing the Cube positioned in on particular TV show, months after it came out, but I can't recall what show it was. I remember seeing it here and there in other TV shows as well.

There was a popular British comedy, Absolutely Fabulous, in which the main character had a Cube in her kitchen and an iMac at work. The characters in the show are hysterical, not at all stodgy British humor. Two 40-something women who get drunk and stoned and even do blow most of their waking hours.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I remember seeing the Cube positioned in on particular TV show, months after it came out, but I can't recall what show it was. I remember seeing it here and there in other TV shows as well.

There was a popular British comedy, Absolutely Fabulous, in which the main character had a Cube in her kitchen and an iMac at work. The characters in the show are hysterical, not at all stodgy British humor. Two 40-something women who get drunk and stoned and even do blow most of their waking hours.
Cool, thanks! We see AbFab from time to time so I'll keep an eye out the next time we catch it.

PowerMacFan

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012

This is Season 3, episode 9 (or 10, there seems to be some discrepency). "iSaved Your Life."

It's actually two scenes between Carly and Freddie that happen here. In getting the screen cap I was trying to find a scene that didn't have the actors in the frame or in front of the Macs. The Macs are only on screen for a few seconds in each cut so if you are turning away for a moment you will indeed miss them.

"Victorious" also uses macs although it only appears to be MacBook or iBooks used (Maybe PowerBook G4s) in one episode there is a iMac.

Also the show "Drake & Josh" used Macs when they used them varied sometimes it was a iMac other times it was Mac laptops i am assuming it was either iBooks or PowerBooks used as the series ended before the Intel switch.

Also on the sitcom George Lopez durning early seasons they used a iMac G3 and latter it was a iMac g4.

What i dont get is why some shows like iCarly, Victorious, Zoey 101 and Drake & Josh either called them or have a symbol of a Pair. Why would they not seek apples permission to use their name in fact you would think it would promote them in fact the more shows and movies i see the more it is Apple computer of some sort being used.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
iCarly, Victorius, Drake and Josh and Zoey 101 are all produced by Dan Schneider. I have no idea why they would not seek a licensing thing with Apple but I assume that Apple probably wanted too much, either in money, screen time, placement or control of product presentation.

There was that one episode with Sam and Freddie being employed at the Pear store. I can't imagine how much Apple might have wanted for that.

Haven't watched George Lopez in some time. I don't think when it started I was an Apple convert so I wouldn't have noticed I think. But that's cool.

PowerMacFan

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
iCarly, Victorius, Drake and Josh and Zoey 101 are all produced by Dan Schneider. I have no idea why they would not seek a licensing thing with Apple but I assume that Apple probably wanted too much, either in money, screen time, placement or control of product presentation.

There was that one episode with Sam and Freddie being employed at the Pear store. I can't imagine how much Apple might have wanted for that.

Haven't watched George Lopez in some time. I don't think when it started I was an Apple convert so I wouldn't have noticed I think. But that's cool.

Men In Black also used a iMac G3 in part two which i never noticed until a few months ago im not a mac convert or fanboy by any means but my 1st true mac was a iMac G3 Tray load i bought it at a garage sale in high school as my school used Macs and i used Windows i thought getting a iMac was a good idea because i could use all the same programs and not worry about compatibility issues. i have 2 macs a eMac currently unused as i have no place to use it at and a MDD which is in my room at my desk replacing a AMD Socket AM2 system i use Windows as my seconday machine which is also my gaming computer. so i am not a fanboy but i do love macs they are built like tanks the PPC ones are anyways im sure in 2020 that most of the PPC Macs used now will still be usable then allthough im sure by 2020 that all possibility of using a PPC mac will be pretty much non existant and ill have to break down and buy a Intel Mac Pro

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Cool, thanks! We see AbFab from time to time so I'll keep an eye out the next time we catch it.

I'm pretty sure the Cube and the blue and white Dalmatian iMac first appeared in season 4, episode 1. The thing is, season 3 appeared to end in 1995, and the Cube wasn't available until sometime in 2000. So there was a five-year downtime for the show, unless the producers were playing around with the dates in season 3. Go figure.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks guys!

My first Mac was a TiBook/400. It's still in pieces out in the garage, except for the screen which I swapped to my son's Titanium 1Ghz DVI.

I was the third owner of the TiBook and it died once in late 2009. My daughter killed the second logic board. :)

I've got a Mac IIci, a PowerMac 7300, 6500 and two 17" PowerBook G4s. My wife has a 12" PowerBook G4 and my daughter has a iBook G3.

I converted to Mac in 2002 I think. My PC died and since the hard drive had an overlay there was no way I could recover it. I lost all my data. Since most of my jobs have used Macs though I knew that you could cripple a Mac, but still get the work out. You can't say the same about a PC. Those two things combined to convert me to Mac. I once went several months with a bad ram stick and a corrupted B tree disk catalogue on my work G5 until I had the time to fix it. Still got the work out every week.

My 1Ghz 17" PB G4 is still running fine three years after I bought it with a failed external cache. I'm told that that is a logicboard issue. The seller declared the machine on it's last legs. Several parts and a screen replacement later this is still my everyday Mac.

I am by no means a fanboy either, but the Mac has earned my respect simply by performing when I needed it to even when not working right.

PowerMacFan

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks guys!

My first Mac was a TiBook/400. It's still in pieces out in the garage, except for the screen which I swapped to my son's Titanium 1Ghz DVI.

I was the third owner of the TiBook and it died once in late 2009. My daughter killed the second logic board. :)

I've got a Mac IIci, a PowerMac 7300, 6500 and two 17" PowerBook G4s. My wife has a 12" PowerBook G4 and my daughter has a iBook G3.

I converted to Mac in 2002 I think. My PC died and since the hard drive had an overlay there was no way I could recover it. I lost all my data. Since most of my jobs have used Macs though I knew that you could cripple a Mac, but still get the work out. You can't say the same about a PC. Those two things combined to convert me to Mac. I once went several months with a bad ram stick and a corrupted B tree disk catalogue on my work G5 until I had the time to fix it. Still got the work out every week.

My 1Ghz 17" PB G4 is still running fine three years after I bought it with a failed external cache. I'm told that that is a logicboard issue. The seller declared the machine on it's last legs. Several parts and a screen replacement later this is still my everyday Mac.

I am by no means a fanboy either, but the Mac has earned my respect simply by performing when I needed it to even when not working right.

interesting story ive had two system 7 powermacs both died but i knew nothing on macs then and couldnt do anything with them with no usb or eathernet they were useless one powermac i remember i could take the entire motherboard out of the case and slide it back in i think it had a 380mb scsi hdd it had clarisworks 4 i believe and came with a printer which i still have and it still works but with no serial port i cant use it. i got it for the fact it had a printer i did my homework on it in middle school. i think my 1st mac was a powerpc 7000 not sure but it only had a 500mb ide hdd and 8 megs of ram

----------

i wonder if the eMac was mentionwed in the show would it be a ePear?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
In children's TV, they tend to rename things, put different logos, etc. As they don't want to endorse specific products as kids can easily identify with them and it causes problems. Like, if you see someone eating McDonald's on a show, you're most likely to buy there, etc. Otherwise thy'd have lawsuits. :rolleyes:

They do this on the radio too, "generic smartphone", "generic MP3 player".

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
ePear. That's funny! :D

The wiki page I read for Dan Schneider states that the manufacturer of the Pear computers (when referred to on any given show produced by Dan Schneider) is Schneider. :)

FrozenMacUser

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Another cool show that features lots of PPC Apple tech was Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In the early seasons the Apple logo was always covered up by a strategically placed sticker but later on I guess they got a placement deal with apple and prominently displayed their computers on the show. Also something else of note that I am not sure if it was deliberate or not but the "good guys" always seemed to have Apple gear and the villains used PCs. There were exceptions to that of course (the Trio was decked out with Apple G4 Power Macs and Adam used a Power Mac G3 B&W.

PowerMacFan

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Another cool show that features lots of PPC Apple tech was Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In the early seasons the Apple logo was always covered up by a strategically placed sticker but later on I guess they got a placement deal with apple and prominently displayed their computers on the show. Also something else of note that I am not sure if it was deliberate or not but the "good guys" always seemed to have Apple gear and the villains used PCs. There were exceptions to that of course (the Trio was decked out with Apple G4 Power Macs and Adam used a Power Mac G3 B&W.

i never liked that show.

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
One of the strangest Mac sightings that I've see is the movie "Spy Kids: All the Time In the World". The OSS headquarters is literally littered with PowerPC Macs. Although the move was made well into the Intel era and then-current displays and iMacs are visible, G4 Desktops all the way back to the Sawtooth appear in the background of scenes. In at least one case, a G4 is just sitting on top of a table in a hallway.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
If you want to see Mac's in a TV Show watch 30 Rock.

There is a disclaimer at the end credits "Furnished by Apple" :D

J.Appleseed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2012
The Netherlands
If you want to see Mac's in a TV Show watch 30 Rock.

There is a disclaimer at the end credits "Furnished by Apple" :D

I noticed that, too, but I really thought Apple had said they didn't sponsor anything in TV-shows. Pretty odd.

The Big Bang Theory also uses loads of Macs (although Sheldon and Leonard seem to enjoy teasing Genius's) and True Blood and The Mentalist are starting to use them a lot as well.

Funny to see that other people are also looking for Macs in movies :p

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2012-04-22 om 08.31.24.png
    Schermafbeelding 2012-04-22 om 08.31.24.png
    743.7 KB · Views: 545
  • Schermafbeelding 2012-04-29 om 20.56.14.png
    Schermafbeelding 2012-04-29 om 20.56.14.png
    664 KB · Views: 449
  • Schermafbeelding 2012-05-02 om 16.38.04.png
    Schermafbeelding 2012-05-02 om 16.38.04.png
    727.9 KB · Views: 518
  • Schermafbeelding 2012-04-22 om 08.21.09.png
    Schermafbeelding 2012-04-22 om 08.21.09.png
    760.2 KB · Views: 252
  • Schermafbeelding 2012-04-21 om 13.04.02.png
    Schermafbeelding 2012-04-21 om 13.04.02.png
    879 KB · Views: 296

kthnxshwn

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I just wanna drop it and say it's totally weird how the PearPad is like 64 inches big and the PearPhone is shaped like an actual pear. That is all.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I just wanna drop it and say it's totally weird how the PearPad is like 64 inches big and the PearPhone is shaped like an actual pear. That is all.
LOL!!!

I forgot about the Big Bang Theory. Although there, I see mostly newer Intel Macs. First time I've seen a Mac Classic in these caps here.

It's cool about the other shows mentioned too. I'll mention another.

If you watch the Food Channel, there's Iron Chef America. They have a bunch of iMacs on that show. The camera usually shows the back and there is an Iron Chef sticker placed prominently over the Apple logo.

J.Appleseed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2012
The Netherlands
LOL!!!

I forgot about the Big Bang Theory. Although there, I see mostly newer Intel Macs. First time I've seen a Mac Classic in these caps here.

It's cool about the other shows mentioned too. I'll mention another.

If you watch the Food Channel, there's Iron Chef America. They have a bunch of iMacs on that show. The camera usually shows the back and there is an Iron Chef sticker placed prominently over the Apple logo.

Yeah, they're newer Macs for the most part. Although I also remember an episode where Sheldon meets Steve Wozniak and he goes home to get his Apple II or Apple Macintosh (don't recall which one) - the episode where he is too scared to go outside.

Link

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I saw that episode. In his rush to meet Woz he ends up fumbling the computer and sending it down the stairs where it breaks into pieces.

Very funny (as most Big Bang episodes are)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.