Icecam - Your Thoughts & My Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Caitlyn, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/icecam.html

Hey everyone.
    I've heard of this Macally Icecam being an alternative to the iSight and decided to check it out. I don't really want to spend $149 on a webcam (even though it looks nicer than any alternative). Anyway, does anyone here have one of these Icecams? If so, what do you think? How's the quality? Also, what is this iChatUSBCam software? Does iChat not support USB cameras? If so, does that mean OS X doesn't recognize it in other apps as well? I've also heard a few things about the OrangeLink iBot. I took a look though and it looks kinda junky. Any opinions?

Thanks a bunch guys! I appreciate it. :)
    -Cait

2. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

to work well with a mac it needs to be firewire, but if you want a cheap webcam just for iChat the Macally one will be ok, with the extra software

3. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

I bought an IceCam and it works, but the picture quality is poor and it's slow (picture jerks around). It uses USB1.1 (not USB2), so I assume that's the reason. (NOTE: I'm comparing to my MacBook Pro's iSight).

4. nicorojas macrumors member

I use the IceCam regularly with amsn. Picture is not that great, it is slow, but it is cheap and it works. Maybe not for a "real" video conference, but for light IM use, IMHO it's allright.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I never had any luck with MacAlly products but I wouldn't suggest anything that cheap or anything using USB 1.1 at this point. A friend of mine has a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000, which runs about $79 and its quality is decent but not anywhere near close to the iSight, which is pretty amazing.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There also seem to be a number of reviews that say this... when you add up the price of the USB camera software, it seems like this is not that great a deal over an iSight. You can find a used iSight for about $100 online, if you can wait a week or two.

With respect to other options, there are some nicer Logitech vga ones that seem to be good alternates to the iSight, though....

7. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies guys. I read a few reviews and it sounds like the Icecam has poorer picture quality than what I am looking for. So, I've heard of that Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000. It is indeed compatible with Macs? I heard someone had a problem on another forum.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much guys!

Oh, and one last thing, if I were to buy a used iSight, where would you reccomend? eBay?

EDIT: Another quick thing that just came to mind was that I do want the camera to latch to the top of my iBook, as an iSight would.

8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I was where you're at a few weeks ago...

I did the research, checked out the icecam..the quickcam....

and in the end...I got the iSight...because it "just works" and I friggin hate messing with drivers.

but that's just me.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'd recommend buying one here, actually, if you have enough posts to post in the marketplace. If you post a Wanted To Buy post, I'm sure someone will come along fairly quickly with a good offer....

Otherwise, eBay would probably be okay too.

10. backupdrummer macrumors regular

backupdrummer

First cam i got was the icecam. It is a servicable little guy but picture quality is very bad not because its a bad cam just because of the USB inteface. The biggest problem i had with it was the lack of auto focus. Imagine if you will trying to focus something on a flexible stand... it sucks. Also I was using it with an iBook so eveytime i would type while video conferencing it looked like I was experiencing an earthquake.

After a few months it was my birthday so I just eBayed a used iSight and have been loving it ever since.

The Skinny: if you get an IceCam it will just wet your appetite and make you want an iSight even more.

11. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, after reading a few reviews, I see you're not kidding. Well, I have decided I will get an iSight. Now the question is where. Thanks for all your opinions though, guys. Much appreciated. :)

12. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

what about the ads pyro firewire webcam, it works with ichat and i picked one up from ebay for 12 pounds, it looks ok and works without a glitch, although its discontinued now, heres a link to a pdf http://www.adstech.com/products/PYROWebCam&Card/manuals/API200Man.pdf

Goodlook it's a great cam i shouldn't bother with the icecam, you will be very disapointed, even if you don't get the pyro webcam get anything but the icecam cam, btw it doesn't need drivers it just works

13. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

When I clicked on the thread I thought it said "Icecream - your thoughts and my questions". :eek:

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I scream for ice cream. *screams* Just in case.

:eek: :eek:

15. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hahaha! Yes, ice cream is very technical and deserves its own thread for questions to be answered to those new to it. :p

16. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the double post, but how is the video quality on this Ads Pyro? I found one on eBay, but I don't wanna waste the money if it isn't that great. Also, does it latch to the top of my iBook like an iSight would?? Thanks! :)