IceStation, is it worth the $?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cluthz, Sep 26, 2004.

1. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I'm looking for a stand for my powerbook (12"), and the macally icestand looks like what i'm looking for (at least the pix i've found on the web)
    I want to raise the monitor and align it with my external monitor (using a crappy crt now, but i have ordered a 17" viewsonic).
    Is icestation what i'm looking for ?
    Anyone owns it, and can confirm if its sturdy?

[​IMG]

2. advocate macrumors regular

It doesn't look as nice as a purpose-made stand but I just put my PowerBook on an empty binder!

3. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I use the Podium CoolPad from RoadTools. It doesn't raise the laptop as much as the iCurve, so an external KB isn't necessary (I use a mouse anyway, addicted to scroll wheels and I'd go crazy using a trackpad all the time). It can also rotate 360° too, and the tile is adjustable. And it's even easy to transport (the Traveler even more so I bet) just remove the height-adjusting, er things, and slip in your bag.

5. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Another vote for an empty binder. It's the perfect fix.

6. cluthz thread starter macrumors 68040

cluthz

i actually have the powerbook on a paperbox now (the apple developer organizer box, has almost the same footprint as the 12" and its great looking in white..)
    But i need to raise the powerbook more, and i'd want it to be adjustable (which iCurve isn't) Anyway, i curve costs twice as much as every other laptop stand here in norway (it costs nearly $90 (usd) incl tax)

7. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i love my iCurve. i feel sorry for Norway. i got mine for $35 (discounted from $40) at MicroCenter.

8. djkny macrumors 6502

icurve's are only $25 here in the US. Sorry, you're getting ripped off over there. They should match the Icurve, though, to reflect the beauties of the new Al LCD's. It's design, now, was more suited to the white LCD panels.

9. morkintosh macrumors regular

10. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Of the commercial solutions, iCurve looks to be the best.

11. neut macrumors 68000

neut

the ice thing works best with Ti books... they have a larger open angle and can be made to sit very high.

it does not work as well with the AL books.

peace.

12. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

$25 is still a lot of money for a piece of plastic (and I think that normally costs even more than that).

I think the iCurve a rip-off, although I'll admit that it does look nice.

I use a Podium Pad myself (also not as cheap as it should be) and have no real complaints.

13. djkny macrumors 6502

I have a podium pad, too, and ironically, those on average cost $30. It's portable, does the job and swivels, but it doesn't lift the powerbook up to eye level (which is really the purpose of ergonomics). The iCurve does so, and saves a ton of desk space. For $25, it can't be beat.

14. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Okay, I'll bite...WHERE can I get it for $25????

15. matthutch macrumors regular

i use an icurve with my 12 inch, have never regretted buying it.

one thing i find interesting though, on the box it calls the icurve "the invisible laptop stand" yet there is a picture of it :)

well anyway icurve is the way to go

16. neut macrumors 68000

neut

after shipping... it's over $30.

ebuyer

peace.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Same here.

Now if I could convince my boss to buy one and a keyboard and mouse for the head office workspace....

18. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

Whoa! When did they lower the price? I might get one now.

19. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Well, if you buy direct from the manufacturer it is $40.

Talk about a rip-off! We are probaby talking about less than $1 worth of a single piece of lucite. I could not justify spending more than $15 max on such a thing.

They sure are making a killing on us... They know what suckers us Mac users are; we are willing to (over)pay a premium for something that aesthetically matches our computers.

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Plus the cost of the mold they use (times however many they use), plus the cost of paying the designers, and the other R&D people, plus marketing, etc. If you can make the same thing for $1, I'll buy one from you.

21. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

R&D? Are you kidding? Have you seen the thing? It looks nice and slick, but a piece of complex engineering it is not. The cost of the mold should also be very little. What's more, I would be willing to bet that the thing is even made in China!

Yes, of course they have to make a profit - that is understandable and I have no complaints about that. But asking $40 for that thing?! Incredible rip-off - I still think that at $20 resale they could make a very nice profit (but of course they know that many Mac users will pay a premium, and so they charge an exhorbitant amount).

I'm not out to launch a battle against Griffin or anything; it is a nice product and of course they have the right to charge whatever they like. It just makes me mad to see such a blatant rip-off.

22. djkny macrumors 6502

That's why I paid $26.75 (total) and not $40. It should see a few years' worth of use. Then, I'll sell on ebay and get probably $15-$20 for it. That's worth it. Nowadays, it's all about paying for use; who actually 'buys' things anymore? It's about the ebb/flow of sales, exchange, trades seen in the likes of Clist, Ebay, etc. User forums only reinforce this economy.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yes, I'm sure you're very experienced in designing and manufacturing products made from this material (I don't know whether it's acrylic or what though :eek: )
    Perhaps someone who's worked with this stuff before can weigh in?