iChat 2 for multiple-protocols?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mmmdreg, May 9, 2002.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

This isn't an "official" rumor of course...just some speculation..is it possible? maybe even iChat1.x.

2. McFreggle macrumors 6502

McFreggle

Re: iChat 2 for multiple-protocols?

I really don't think so... The icon clearly contains the logo of AOL Messenger, so they made some kind of deal with AOL I guess... I don't think it will support - say - ICQ or MSN...

It would be soooooooooooooooooo great if Trillian would become available for Mac. Trillian is a cool, all in one, Windows Messenger program... It's rather great.

k.

3. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Trillian doesn't look too bad...but whats wrong with Proteus? (get it at apple.com/downloads/macosx)...I just got it a few days ago and it rocks!

4. aggemam macrumors member

[​IMG]

Next to each contact is an AOL icon. Why would they do this if AOL is the only thing supported?

--
    Christian

5. j763 macrumors 6502a

to distinguish between mac.com and AOL accounts...

6. aggemam macrumors member

CONFIRMED

That's a way too boring answer :)

It could be!

7. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I have a few contacts on AIM and a huge load of MSN, (I know it is M$ but most of my friends use it) For me it would be nice that iChat supported MSN **but** I don't want apple to put M$ code direct into the operating system.

Ensign

8. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

This started early

Damn, could you guys let the thing at least be released before you start speculating?!?!?!

9. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

People generally tend to go with whatever is on their computers, thats why many people use MSN these days...everyone I knew on iCQ has changed to MSN because people just stick with whats already there...I guess if Apple put iChat on, it'll just advance communication within the AIM/mac.com community but that will never be as large as M$ so maybe Apple should consider adding a few more protocols...perhaps Jabber and ICQ...