iChat A/V for iBook G3

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Amani, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Amani macrumors member

Amani

I use my iBook and wireless internet a lot and am thinking about upgrading iChat to the A/V version. But I'm wondering how well the A/V version works on a iBook G3 (snow white model)?

Also, I'm wondering if I can copy the AV version of iChat that came with my G5/Panther and install it as an upgrade on my iBook?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

you probably can copy it over. I doubt that it is legal however. I think that iChat A/V requires a 700mhz G3 or faster, so if you iBook is that fast you should be OK. However, you might want to look that up, because I may be confusing the requirements for the program itself with the iSight camera, so you might want to check me out, or hopefully someone else will confirm that or correct me.

3. Amani thread starter macrumors member

Amani

Yoda, thanks for pointing this out. I just checked Apple (which I should have done before posting this query). 600mhz is required for video, but I can use audio on my iBook. If and when I use video, I would not doubt just use it with my G5 anyway--because I would need the camera set up.

I also forgot, I can't copy iChat AV because it wouldn't work in Jaguar, which I'm still running on my iBook.

Well, thanks for the help. I'm just enjoying wireless hook-up so much that I want to now put everything I can on my laptop which I use more than my G5 beyond work requirements.