iChat A/V

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Ajmbc, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Ajmbc macrumors regular

I was just wondering... will any other firewire camera work with iChat A/V besides apple's for video chat? I have my canon ZR40 connected and it says "Computer doesn't support video chat". Any way to fix this? does anyone have their camera working with iChat A/V?

Thanks,
    =ajmbc=

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i use my zr30 with it today and it works great. although im getting an isight, i just wanted to check it out.

iJon

3. qedigital macrumors newbie

Sony cams

I've got a Sony DCR-TR7000 and iChat doesn't like it either. It doesn't detect it as a video camera. However, it does identify it in the mic drop box. Upon selecting it, nothing happens though. I kinda assumed that a camera that worked with iMovie would be supported by iChat. Not the case it appears.

4. Illmatic macrumors member

Damn and I thought...

that it was just my computer being crazy. I was so mad that my Sony MiniDV wasn't working as like others said it works with iMovie and I assumed it would work with iChat as well. Oh well I hope they fix that in the final release...by the way I love being able to see peoples away messages all the time now...although we have given up the Idle Time viewing. Also why did they take the info button off the interface?? Regardless at least its an improvement in key areas. If anyone happens to figure out how to get other cameras supported please email me at jayare420@zoominternet.net.

Thanks
    Jayare

5. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Remember that iChat AV is still beta stage and may not support every camera model properly. For instance, my Canon XM1 (PAL) is happily recognized and usable with iChat.
    I have already spent enough money on that one, so I won´t shell out more for iSight, which is in my case rather pointless. Currently, I have a 2000 $ webcam sitting here :D

6. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I just tried to connect a one way video to my girlfriends ibook 500 and she got the same message. It might be that ichat AV won't work on the ibooks.

Although disappointing, It's ok because long distance calls are expensive... so the voice chat is welcome in my house.

By the way it sounds as good or better than my cell phone.

7. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Haven't tried the video on my iBook 800 since I don't have a camera, but the voice doesn't work properly. There are strange clicks throughout the conversation which are not present on the other end.

8. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

it's pretty damn amazing though. I mean 5 years ago I remember thinking how totally cool instant messaging someone was and how cool e-mail was. I remember going on AOL chat rooms because it was fun and different and you got to meet people. Now it's like WOAH... I can talk to my girlfriend over the internet and not get long distance charges (she lives in canada)??? It's all come a long way and very fast...

9. zed macrumors 6502

I cannot for the life of me get the audio chat to work... it continually get errors that the other side did not respond or that there was a network timeout.....

We are both running iMacs that are behind a router... could this be the issue..... My brother recently moved to San Francisco and it would be really nice to be able to chat with him rather than typing everything.

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Damn and I thought...

i haven't noticed that the away message viewing has changed since iChat 1.0. it's still one line, it trails off, and you can't see all of really big ones (which a lot of my AIM using friends do). as for idle time, i thought that was still supported. in fact, i know it is. i was looking at my friend's idle time just last night.

11. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

iChat AV will not do video chat on a G3 that's below 600MHz. The program itself checks your system specs and tells you that the "computer will not support video chat". So the 600 - 900MHz iBooks will work, but not older ones. Audio and text chat will still work, it just locks you out of video.

edit: Also look at the iSight specs on Apple's iSight page, which show iChat AV's requirement of 600MHz and a broadband connection.

12. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Actually, I can't find it right now, but there is a KB article about iChatAV having problems with iBook models when videoconferencing. I will try to find the link.

Regards,
    Gus