iChat acting screwy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 5300cs, Aug 30, 2004.

1. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Recently iChat has been acting all funny. For example: my wife uses AOL (yeah yeah I know :rolleyes: ) but she just periodically vanishes from my online list, eventhough she's still connected on her end. Sometimes when I try to send her a message, she never gets them. Also when she sees me online and tries to send me a message, AOL on it's part grays-out the send button.

WTF is going on ?? :confused: Insights anyone?

2. Ilikemacs macrumors newbie

iChat isn't so great in general if you ask me. It lacks some features that other messaging programs offer. I just started using Jabber. It's very good if you ask me, much better than ichat.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Maybe the Mac OS X firewall (or a third-party firewall) is messing up iChat. Do you use BrickHouse or any other configuration utility for the built-in Mac OS X firewall? If you do, you might consider changing the settings.

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i've also had some weird problems with iChat... not the same as mentioned here.

but today i just started up iChat, then it brought me to the 'setup' screen, where you put in your AIM name etc. well, it's the first time that's happened. weird huh? :confused:

5. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

No, no firewall changes at all. It's really strange :confused: (and pissing me off :mad: )

anyone else having problems?

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I wouldn't choose to use iChat......

but it's the only one that's so easy to use audio and video chatting. My sister lives in Paris and my aunt is in Washington,D.C., and when I want to talk to them, all I have to do is click one buttom and thats it. If another program could do that as quick and simple, I would be all for getting rid of iChat.

7. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

I like iChat, but it's way too buggy for me to actually use it. I use Adium X. It's amazingly configurable, (if you want it to be) and it's less buggy than iChat and AIM for Mac. The only problem: it doesn't have a GUI for Direct IM image sending, and the file transfer feature is limited. Other than that, it is hands down the best AIM client for Mac OS X. Give it a try, you can always switch to AIM official if you ever need Direct IM.