iChat/AIM help pls!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by baby duck monge, Feb 25, 2003.

1. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Ok, so here's the deal. I have been using iChat for a while, but today I decided to switch back to AIM (at least until iChat gets upgraded a bit more). There is only one problem (ok, there are multiple problems, but only one I am going to address here): I can't stand the sounds AIM uses. I have grown fond of the subdued alert noises in iChat and desperately want to use them in AIM; unfortunately, I have no idea where to find these sounds on my computer :confused: . Any assistance to aide me in my task to make AIM more pleasing to my ears would be much appreciated :D .

2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

I would suggest using adium, because i believe you can add your own sounds, but otherwise:
    Try rght clicking (control-click) on the app and select "View package contents" in resources is where these sounds should be located. assuming it acts like most other programs in X, you should be able to replace the sound files with files of the same name.

3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I think iChat must have those sounds built in, because I can't find them anywhere either. You can change the sounds AIM uses, but you'd have to find a different sound set off the web somewhere. (Or you could play all the sounds in iChat while recording off the line out... if you are really really anal about your IM client sounds. :))

4. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i would also very much recommend adium. this program rocks...its so customizable. when someone messages me it quacks and flaps its wings...its sooo cool!! plus it doesn't have a lot of crap, its set up perfectly. plus buddy aliasing is the best thing since sliced bread

5. baby duck monge thread starter macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

I went to the resources, but I could not find the sounds from iChat anywhere :confused: . As far as using Adium goes, I don't really care to download it at the moment (though I did check out the website before deciding to use AIM, which was already on my computer, again), and AIM allows you to replace the sounds with any of your choosing. Any other ideas about where to find these iChat sounds, though? Anyone? Beuller?

::edit::
    Ok, so I now see the other responses (initially, only the first one came up), and the overwhelming opinion is just to go for Adium. What are the features/lacks of Adium as compared to AIM (buddy groups, away messages [viewing and posting], sound set, etc...). It's really just looking like I am going to have to deal with annoying sounds (not the worst fate ever, but not the best) or check out Adium since iChat's sounds are unusually elusive. Alas...
    ::edit::

6. howard macrumors 68020

howard

theres only 2 problems with adium

1. no file transfers
    2. you have to type to someone to read there away messages

because of those two features it took me months to switch to it, but its so awesome, it is nearly a perfect program besides those problems. i go into ichat if i need to transfer files.

BUT!!!...there is hope...rumors say that adium will adapt these features in the new adium 2 version that should be out in the next few months...only time will tell if this is true. but at least try it out for a few days...just browse through the massive insane preferences and you can do anything you want with it really. plus sometimes aol servers get funky and with adium and can switch them around...i've found this to be extremely useful

7. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

I personally like ichat and can deal with what I mainly dislike about it using iChatEnhancer, cool little addition I reccomend.
    I just love it's integration with the system, I don't have to have the app open to be available and see who is online.

8. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

adium.

one window with tabs for different conversations and buddy list. file transfer thing is not a problem... as i have access to a web server :D

9. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Everytime I use filetransfer thru iChat it doesn't work/...Am I doing something wrong?

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

no sometimes (especially when the recipient is a Windows user) iChat refuses to do file transfers for some reason...
    You're not the only one having that problem.
    I'm hoping the next version of iChat will be better.
    Away messages also cause a problem, as iChat doesn't display your CURRENT away message sometimes.

11. baby duck monge thread starter macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

thanks mucho

I would just like to thank everyone who responded to my post - I was amazed by the volume and promptness of the replies :D . I will probably give Adium a shot, even though the away message viewing problem will most likely drive me slowly insane. If that doesn't work, I suppose I will just have to be less picky about the sounds that come from my computer or find a new set of more acceptable sounds. Thanks again!