iChat <--> AIM: not so smooth!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hkriffraff, Feb 4, 2006.

1. hkriffraff macrumors regular

Oct 6, 2003
    I've been trying to set up talk and video chat sessions with my powerbook (using a Sony camcorder) running iChat and my sister's laptop running AIM 1.0.4 (no webcam connected).

I've found the following:

- When I invite her to a one-way video chat and accept on her end, the preview window on my PB displays live video and says "Waiting for Response" for a couple minutes before timing out. The video tab on her AIM displays a black panel.

- When I invite myself to an audio talk session from her computer, AIM makes a ringing tone and says "Waiting for Buddy Confirmation" but I never receive any invitation on iChat.

- When I invite her to chat from iChat, no invitation appears on AIM.

Am I doing anything wrong or can I tweak the settings somehow? This seems lousy! Are there other ways to video chat if this doesn't work?
  2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

Jun 29, 2005
    New Jersey
    I had the exact same problem with iChat and my friend while he was using AOL. I had my camcorder hooked up with firewire, and it did the same thing as yours. Both people don't have to be on iChat, do they? If so, that's really stupid.
  3. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2003
    Huntington Beach, CA, USA
    I believe iChat video only works when all the users are using iChat.
  4. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Dec 23, 2004
    Charleston, IL
    It doesn't run smoothly as it does from Mac 2 Mac but Windows to Mac video chats work.... just it's VERY on and off.

Try having your friend invite you to a video chat and see what happens
  5. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2006
    I think i remember reading that you cant have an audio chat, much less video chat, between ichat and AIM without both parties using video. Has anyone had luck with even getting audio to work between AIM and ichat without using cameras?
  6. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    An easier solution would to just use skype. Cross platform and works without a hitch.
  7. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    That's correct. Both parties have to have a camera on and enabled in order for it to work. Also, the person using AIM has to initiate the video chat or else it won't work. However make sure you don't upgrade to the new Triton AIM because it doesn't work cross platform. I wish Apple would make iChat for Windows so it would work smoothly.