iChat/AIM signs off

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rapps, May 29, 2005.

1. rapps macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2004
    How can I prevent AIM or iChat from signing me off when the computer goes to sleep? My sister just got a new powerbook and its really bugging her! Please let me know if you have any sort of solutions.

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Apr 19, 2005
    when your computer goes to sleep.. it shuts down all operations man. when it's asleep it just CAN'T stay online. it's only providing enough power to keep the memory stable enough to maintain the memory state. when it's asleep it isn't doing anything at all, sleeping and keeping your memory alive.

so in short.. you can't do what you're looking to do. other than not make it sleep, at which point i wouldn't recommend leaving it on all the time..
  3. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    As DXoverDY said, when the computer goes to sleep, everything turns off except for the ram, which is fed just enough power to keep your active applications alive. The problem with keeping Aim online is that the airport card (for wireless internet) and the cable hubs (for direct ethernet internet) are both shut down to conserve power. There is no way to get around this. Its just the nature of sleep.

The only suggestion I could give you really is, if you really need aim to stay on, you can shut your screen off by bringing the brightness all the way down, and turn all the energy saving settings on. Also make sure all the components are turned off (ie. airport and bluetooth) and that nothing is connected to the computer through cable lines (except the ethernet cable if thats where you get internet from). Thats almost like sleep, but its still going to use up substantially more power then actually putting it to sleep.
  4. rapps thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions! Its what I thought.....

My sister is just going to have to learn to live not having it on all the time.

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    Could she do this before with some other computer? I've never heard of that being possible with any computer when it is put to sleep or hybernate.
  6. rapps thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2004
    This is her first laptop....so she's always had desktops where just the monitor would go black, but computer was always on.
  7. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    You could set up her laptop to do the same thing. That's what I do.
  8. toothpaste macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    Why would she need to have AIM on, when the computer is sleeping? :confused:
  9. rapps thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2004

She wants to have it on when she is away for when people leave her IM's she can see that they IM'd her......

Shes a teenager?!!