iChat and firewall problem!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by iJon, Jan 3, 2003.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Ok first let me tell you the hardware I have. I'm on dsl routed through a linksys wired/wireless router to a powermac g4. I have two firewalls, there is one in my dsl modem and one in my linksys router. Neither of them can be disabled, only ports can be opened. If I connect my powermac directly to my dsl modem (completly avoiding the linksys router) ichat file transfer works fine without opening any ports or messing around with anything. Now when I connect to my linksys router i cant do file transfer. So I went into iChat prefs and saw the port ichat uses. I opened that port on my linksys router and this is what happens. I now can receieve any file I want, but i cant send any files. Is there another port I need to open. If any one can help me or just a simple "it wont be possible" will do. It is just driving me crazy and I feel i have tried everything possible besides the one thing that will make it work. any help will be grateful. if you guys need any more info or error messages let me know.

iJon

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

port Forwarding

You have to forward a port request to your Natted IP. You should set up your Linksys so you have a Static IP, then forward the port (I forget which one it is) to your IP... which will look something like this: 192.168.1.x

the problem is .... the net sees everything behind your router as on IP... the real IP that your given by your ISP ... static or dynamic. All the comptuers behind it have NAT adresses... hidden by your router. If a request comes into your real IP... your router needs to know what NAT IP to send it to