iChat and the *New* Windows Live Messenger

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CEAbiscuit, Jun 29, 2006.

1. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Has any one tried live video connections yet using iChat to connect? Apparantly, the *New* Windows Live Messenger arrived today for download, and it has video capabilities, according MSFT.

Do not want to run the grandparents through an install (would take HOURS over the phone) on their PC to find out it doesn't work. Any feedback helpful. I've gotten rid of all the PC's in my house, so there's no way for me to quickly test.

Thanks!

2. CEAbiscuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Will try and give this a whirl and let you know how things go, but any input would be helpfull.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not sure what you want to do... people are talking about long term AV integration between AIM, Yahoo, and MSN. But why would iChatAV be able to do video-conferencing with MSN8? I don't think that's a feature as of yet....

P.S. This....

...is probably considered rude and passive-aggressive by more people than not. People looked because they were interested. If someone has something to contribute, they will. That's the kind of place this is. There's no secret discussion going on in which people have decided to ignore you in particular....

4. CEAbiscuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

MSFT is claiming:

"With lots of innovation and exciting new ways to connect to your friends, it's now easier than ever to stay in touch!

Video Calling
    – Connect face-to-face with your friends"

I know this is not very specific, but if this is a vialble way to connect iChat and iSite to a PC, it would be helpfull.

Otherwise, I'm assuming that AIM would be the only way to connect video and audio?

Hope this makes things more clear.

Imagine trying to explain to a grandparent that "your PC won't work with my iChat", espcially if the other grandparent has an iMAC that they've seen work. Oh the explaining ;)

5. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Until Apple and MS agree to share their toys you cannot video chat between iChat and MSN. Unfortunately that's the way it goes.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

At the moment, you have at least three major options...

A) You use iChatAV, they use AIM for Windows (I've done this)
    B) You use Mercury Messenger (or maybe aMSN) and they use Windows Live (I've also done this).
    C) You both use Yahoo Messenger (I haven't done this).

All of these options should work with your iSight.

There has been some ballyhooing of inter-client AV, but that's not what MS is referring to here, and it doesn't work yet. What they mean is that the Windows configuration is supposed to be easier (Webcams aren't always quite zero-configuration on Windows like the iSight is on a Mac).

Does that help?

(EDIT: There are threads ad-nauseum to the following extents, and you can search for them... 1) that Google is helping the GAIM people come up with cross-platform AV, 2) that Skype plans video in the near future on MacOS, 3) that Yahoo plans intercompatibility with Windows Live, 4) that AIM also plans this at some point, possiibly, and 5) that none of 1-4 are currently available).

7. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

stay away from Yahoo Messenger at this point.
    Only allows video (not audio) and the quality is very poor.

Not worth trying IMHO.
    Will be interesting to see if the new beta version improves things - but until their Video includes Audio - I don't think its worth the install / sign up / disk space.

8. CEAbiscuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Helps very much. Thanks for the input. Will try the AIM option first. Sounds like the most simple way to go. Thanks!

9. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Does anyone else have A LOT of trouble Video Chatting via iChat and AIM? It's worked before, but it rarely does. Always "you cancelled the chat" or something like that. Also, on aMSN it says I'm behind a router, so I can't do video chat. I have all the ports on my router forwarded and ported. so....wtf?

10. CEAbiscuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

The video and audio connection AIM on the PC seems to connect fine with my iChat with iSight- a few minor hiccups, but overall - close enough for jazz. All seems right now. Thanks for your help.

11. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Yahoo Messenger works...yeah the quality might be a bit off but no lags etc...it's good enough for me...