iChat and Yahoo Messenger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mac3687, Nov 25, 2006.

1. mac3687 macrumors member

Nov 22, 2006
    I have a MacBook (my first Mac) on the way, and am wondering if I can use iChat to talk to people on Yahoo Messenger, and if not, can I load Yahoo Messenger on the MacBook and still use iSight?
  2. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    I think you can use ichat to talk to your yahoo friends, (read something about it yahoo and AIM working togther) i dont see any reason why the isight should not work but i am not sure.
  3. ingenious macrumors 65832

Jan 13, 2004
    Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

You can use what's called (by the Jabber people) a "transport" in iChat to connect to Yahoo's network via iChat's Jabber capabilities. I really don't know any specifics on how, though.

Yahoo's official client is quite nice in my opinion. It supports the iSight and tried to use my USB webcam with the macam driver even without a program such as ecamm network's iChatUSBCam (Which lets, with a compatible driver such as macam or I/O Expert's, one use a supported USB camera in iChat and other Quicktime applications). However, the newest version that supports video, ironically, does not support voice yet.
  4. macmama macrumors regular

Nov 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    Yep, you can use the camera built into the MacBook for YIM's webcam, but the picture doesn't update realtime like iChat does. I haven't tried getting my YIM friends on my iChat buddy list via Jabber, but I'm going to experiment with it now!