iChat AV @ 35,000 Feet

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jun 24, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Tres Cool. Having internet on a flight like that could really make it more bareable as well.

3. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

no doubt - that would definitely help melt away the miles for a travelling parent on their way to visit their kids, or jetting off for business for a week. I've been playing with my new iSight this week and having a blast with it. I get to see my kids on summer vacation quite a bit, even though I'm stuck at work. Granted, it's not on a plane, but it's still very cool.

4. macrumors regular

so dorky

that is so dorky... now i know why pc users think mac users are weird.

5. macrumors newbie

Couldn't be a 777

777's only have one engine under each wing. That picture shows two. :confused:

Maybe it's a 747. :)

6. macrumors 6502

Being productive with your computer is something that PC users have a hard time fathoming. :rolleyes:

7. macrumors 65816

Photorun

You mean rebooting every day, sometimes twice a day as often is the case around the college I work at, isn't productive?

(my uptime on my G5 at work is three weeks, at home two weeks, and the only reason I've rebooted at all was because I ran the software update>security update and it requires a restart :) Oh, and my reboot is about 1/3 the time it takes for a peecee to boot)

8. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Very cool, but not all that useful. You don't really have much privacy, jets are a bit noisy and what would the person next to you think?

D

9. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    internet connection not neccessary

I have iChatted on an airplane before sans Internet connection which is rather cool. This was before iSight came out. But anyhow, if you have two mac users on the airplane just go to rendesvouz and you can chat without Internet connection. It was fun (me and my sister chatting, we were not seated near each other). Just need an airport card in each laptop....

10. macrumors regular

...and the permission of the pilot in command. Wireless networking on an airliner isn't something you should use without asking first. Not because it's necessarily dangerous, but because it's against the rules, and because you can get in serious trouble for operating an unauthorized transmitter.

11. macrumors 6502a

Gizmotoy

If its against the rules how do they offer a wireless internet service on planes at all?

12. macrumors regular

And just to take it a bit further, I've recreated the sig as Airplane/Flight Number/Departing-Arriving which looks kinda cool.

13. macrumors 6502

nsb3000

Although there is frequently quite a bit of variation within Model numbers on Jumbo-jets, it appears you are right. A quick peak at Boeing's website shows 777's with only two engines...

14. macrumors regular

On a somewhat related note, has anyone seen that Centrino commercial where that couple has a laptop in some ancient colliseum with some puny camera supposedly broadcasting their experience wirelessly to their friends/family? First, is there such a camera? Second, is there such a program with that kind of frame rate? Third, can they get that kind of bandwidth sitting at least 50 feet from even the outer walls of this ancient building? And lastly, is the building equipped with Wi-Fi, or are they using some kind of satellite hookup? Or did I miss the illegible disclaimer that may have flashed briefly on the screen?

By the way, I thoroughly enjoy using my iSight. :)

15. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

No, you're not crazy (well, not because of this anyway... ;)). Ancient ruins are usually not the best place to pick up wifi signals, I'd imagine. I'm sure they're relying on something like artistic license to try to get their point across, but it's stupid really. There is no magical wifi signal from space that allows you to wireless get online anywhere you feel like it. And even if they're using a satellite feed, there's nothing special about a centrino chip in that regard that you can't do with any other laptop with a satellite modem or cellular modem card.

there's already a thread going on about this here

It's an advertising lie used to move product, plain and simple. For example - my boss was caught by it hook line & sinker when he took his powerbook (and yes, I know it doesn't have a centrino, so no correcting me) on vacation with him last spring - he tried to access the internet from the beach, and couldn't understand why it didn't work. "It works in the office - why not there?" he said... the amount that I explained this to him had no bearing on the outcome, I assure you. I'm sure he'll try it again somewhere else, but probably not bring it up with me the next time.

16. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

this is interesting given the news about Logan Airport doing wi-fi. For me $8 for a days use of "high-speed" internet from point-to-point would be worth the cost...

17. macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Looks to me more like an Airbus 340.

18. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

The service isn't, AFAIK, wireless within the plane. I think you connect to an Ethernet port.

19. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, the little chat window pic with the "Sales should be up significantly this quarter" doesn't seem contrived, does it?

And I'm sure I'm just being an idiot, but doesn't that second engine (the farthest one) look like it's pointed in the wrong direction - or at least a different direction than the other one? I'm not sure it's actually an engine. Perhaps Apple did a bad job Photoshopping this fake account. ;) If it isn't an engine, what is it?

20. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Some of the "rules" were put in place in order for the airline to make $20 to $40 off their cell phone service.

21. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My you may be right! Lets get a special prosecutor in on this right away! just kidding, couldn't resist. :D

It does look like the second engine was added.

22. macrumors regular

how do i get that airplane thing
    how do i use this (Hint: AppleScript + Unicode dingbat 2708.)

23. macrumors newbie

An Airbus it is

You were right--Apple's updated the page. It no longer says the plane was a 777, it now says it was an Airbus.

24. macrumors 6502a

Gizmotoy

I suppose that could be. It says on the site that the system is wireless, but I suppose they could just mean the plane doesn't have a cord hanging off the back of it ;)