iChat AV and the Communication Revoluion

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by blueflame, Dec 2, 2003.

1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2003
    Studio City
    i bought an isight the day they came out, was slightly dissapointed that not all AIM users could use it, but for a thanksgiving gift, my entire family got one, BTW, i switcher all 8 of them to mac over the last 2 years, isight has completely revolutionized the way i communicate with my family. they are in California, and i am at school in Mass.
    it is probably the most amazing technology to be released in my opinion.
    even my 80 year old grandfather who formats each IM as a letter uses it frequently and ca figure it out.
    ALl i can really say is BRAVO APPLE!!!
  2. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    We got two iSights, one for the family in St. Louis Missouri, and one for my brother who is in Taiwan for 2 and a half years doing mission work so that we could stay in touch with him. Unfortunately though, for some unknown reason, the system does not work and we can only do an audio chat with him. It's better than nothing, but we could have done that without making a 300 dollar investment. While home for Thanksgiving, I did a video chat with a friend in Chicago who just connected his digital video camera to iChat AV. That worked no problems, so I don't want to go OT so I'll start a new thread for why the overseas video chat doesn't work. It was awesome though to see live a friend I hadn't seen in 3 months, thank you Apple!
  3. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
    I think iChat AV is a waste until they allow people from AOL and yahoo to join in. I mean it's cool to connect with your family, but I want to meet new people, whether they are mac users or not.
  4. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    it's not that apple needs to "allow" aol to use it, it's that aol was not allowed to add such functionality to aim for a long time. although now they are allowed to and are working on adding video chat so more people can enjoy it.

i won an isight from the Chicago Apple Store opening and have only recently used it to video chat with some friends of mine. i had my isight and they were using a video camera and man am i impressed with how nice the isight looks!