Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
Is there a way to run iChat AV with the video window full-screen? I run a *very* small TV station and I'd like to use iChat AV with one of our DV cams at a remote site to do live feeds. I can hook my iBook into our switcher, but as far as I know I'd have to run iChat in a window, displaying Mac OS during the broadcast. Anyway, I'm just wondering if iChat can be run full screen. By the way, I'm still running 10.2 and don't have iChat AV yet, so this may be an obvious feature that I don't know about because I've never used iChat AV. I'm going on and on here... but can anyone help? Thanks.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
hotwire132002 said:
Is there a way to run iChat AV with the video window full-screen? I run a *very* small TV station and I'd like to use iChat AV with one of our DV cams at a remote site to do live feeds. I can hook my iBook into our switcher, but as far as I know I'd have to run iChat in a window, displaying Mac OS during the broadcast. Anyway, I'm just wondering if iChat can be run full screen. By the way, I'm still running 10.2 and don't have iChat AV yet, so this may be an obvious feature that I don't know about because I've never used iChat AV. I'm going on and on here... but can anyone help? Thanks.

Yes you can, but the resolution isnt always the best, especially if you have an iBook G3, since iChat AV is limited by CPU and raw bandwidth. Also, why would you need iChat AV in the picture. Why just not use an app to display your DV stream directly, without compression?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
realityisterror said:
that's why he wants to use iChat AV...

reality

Ah, sorry, missed that. However, be wary once again of the CPU limitations imposed by the (assumed) G3 iBook. It won't be of the best quality (even by iChat standards). Maybe you should consider using Quicktime Broadcaster? Its free from Apple, and you can set your own broadcast parameters, unlike iChat, which is built for ease of use.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
crazzyeddie said:
Ah, sorry, missed that. However, be wary once again of the CPU limitations imposed by the (assumed) G3 iBook. It won't be of the best quality (even by iChat standards). Maybe you should consider using Quicktime Broadcaster? Its free from Apple, and you can set your own broadcast parameters, unlike iChat, which is built for ease of use.

Not a bad idea. I may finally be able to air feeds from outside the studio! Thanks a million.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
i guess if you want to make things simple, just pre-record it. unless it NEEDS to be live. but hey, i don't know what you're trying to accomplish...

reality

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
realityisterror said:
i guess if you want to make things simple, just pre-record it. unless it NEEDS to be live. but hey, i don't know what you're trying to accomplish...

reality

Once in a while, there's something I want to do live. But generally, pre-recorded works fine. It's tough to do off-site feeds when you only have one person at the station who can do any of the technical stuff! (That would be me :D )

Be sure to check out my stations site at cstv.coresoftcomputers.com (I know, shameless plug)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.