iChat AV, I have to fwd ports to get to work, but I have 2 Macs w/iSights. Both?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by amberashby, Jul 2, 2006.

1. amberashby macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I have a Netgear WGR614 router and I have to open ports 5060 and 16384-16403 for it to work. This is fine, but I also have to pick an ip to forward the ports to. So I have to keep changing this ip depending on which of my two Macs I want to video chat on.

Is there another way to do this? I feel as though I am missing something here.

Thanks.

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

You shouldn't have to open any ports. Just connect to AIM, and have a video chat with someone.

3. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

That doesn't work. The only way I can get it to work is to open ports on the router.

4. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone?

Am I just stuck changing the fowarding port back and forth to whatever computer I want to video chat with?

5. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Turn UPnP (Universal Plug 'n Play) on in the router config. Ports will then get dynamically opened for you as iChat will request the router to do so.

There's a greater security risk in activating this feature, but as you're using Macs it's not a big issue and something to worry about IMO. Still, read up on it for your own peace of mind if you want.

6. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

I have UPNP turned on, but I still have to use the port forwarding or it will not work. Should I be using port triggering?