Ichat AV is NOT compatible with windows AIM

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by plunar, Nov 22, 2004.

1. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

ok, i'd like to know where the hell the aol gets off suggesting i can video chat with windows aim users. EVERY SINGLE windows aim client i've tried to chat with (v 5.5 - 5.9) simply refuses to work, even one-way. sometimes on my side it says the connection is fine, and chat is open. however, on the windows aim client side, all they get is a blank video window - no picture. ironically, the audio does work, so we can audio chat (although aol says this "feature" is not implemented). most times though, it simply stalls at "connecting to user". likewise, the stall is similar on their side, only it says "establishing connection." this'll "run" at this stall as long as you leave. what garbage. it's **** like this and quicken that make me consider going wintel. any suggestions welcome. all users are on cable modems or dsl. real ips.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I iChat with my brother running AIM, my friends running AIM, and a coworker running - you guessed it - AIM. Possibly your firewall or ISP is to blame, but iChat and AIM work just fine together.

Not only that, but iChat is superior to AIM in terms of video quality.

3. plunar thread starter macrumors 6502

plunar

if one of your friends would be willing to give it a spin with me it'd be great. but i have no firewall, and use timewarner for internet... same config as most i'd believe. and yet nadda vchat. something is not clicking on their side. i have no problem with other ichatters; it's just the windows aim people i can't get video with.

4. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I don't have any problems video chatting with my brother when I'm using AIM and he's using iChat.

5. haiggy macrumors 65816

Make sure you BOTH have webcams.

Sorry man - works for me. Make sure you both have a webcam. One-way video only works with iChat to iChat.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

One-way video works just fine with AIM as well, no problems here, i do it all the time

7. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Same here

8. lordmac macrumors regular

It always works fine for me........

I do it all the time ONe way and 2-way naf it works fine. Though i have found that they need to be running a fairly new version of aim to do it.
    And i agree Ichat seems to have some of the best video quality. :confused:

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I have seen AIM work but the video quality is really poor. It doesn't seem to matter that the PC is comparable to a G5 class machine. It seems PC users have all that inexpensive CPU power and they don't have IM software to take advantage of it. Maybe it needs to be 4.5 Ghz for it to be fast enough?

One-way video chat would be welcome addition to the next AIM version. I wish iChat worked with MSN PC clients also. You would hope that Windows would have a IM client that would work well with iChat. Currently I only text chat with my buddies running Windows.