iChat AV - network timeout/user did not respond

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tyler Durden, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Tyler Durden macrumors newbie

May 21, 2002
    Hi everyone. I'm experiencing a problem with iChat AV under the following setup: I am running a G4 400 with a Canon GL1 running 10.2.6 and using a broadband cable connection with no firewall (osx fw off) and no routers. I'm trying to connect to my brother who has the same computer setup, is using an iSight and is on DSL which is 1.5 Mbps.. He also has no FW or routers. We are able to do text chat and transfer files, but when attempting to start a video/audio chat we are getting a network timeout error on one end and a user did not respond error on the other end (depending on who initialized the session). My ISP is not blocking any ports and my brother's ISP is only blocking the ports for mail servers. I have checked with the apple tech doc on firewalls for iChat AV, and these ports are not being blocked. No matter what we do, re-install, repair permissions etc, it refuses to connect. Can anybody shed some light on this subject? I don't know what else to try. Thanks in advance for any replys,

2. strack macrumors newbie

Nov 15, 2003
    I don't know if you have found an answer yet. But I was having the same problem with my dad. In the end it turned out he needed to reset his cable modem. After that, everything seems to be working fine. Hope this helps.
  3. mfduffy macrumors newbie

Aug 27, 2004
    Milwaukee, Wis
    network timeout

Did you ever get this problem resolved. My sister recently moved to Indiana (from Milwaukee) and since her move we receive this message most of the time. We are only able to connect about 1 in 10 times. Apple had no answers, and Road Runner refused to help. (She is on Comcast.)