Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TorbX

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2003
Norway
Originally posted by ThatGirl
Thanks TorbX. So what you are saying is there is no way until they make a Mac version of Skype?

Sort of.

1. Most of my friends is on MSN, and they dont want to switch to AIM.

2. There wont be coming a 6.1 version of MSN to mac...

3. iChat won't come to PC.

4. MSN / AIM / iChat does not work behind firewalls on the protocolls sound uses. Skype does!!

Everybody will have an interest in installing Skype, even if they are on a working messenger from before. It works extremely good, its got a nice interface, it uses so little badwith that it must be very cool while gaming, and so on.

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
So can the iSight be used if I and my partner are both using Yahoo Messenger?

This isn't an iChat question, but I have given up on it for now because from Mac to Mac I couldn't get 2-way audio going between version 2.0 and the Jaguar version....

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Re: Re: Re: iChat AV 2.1

Originally posted by TorbX
Check out http://www.skype.com !

Works behind firewalls and everything - but it does not exist for mac. YET! At their help-pages, you can throw in a vote at it. With enough votes, they'll make a Mac-version! That could turn in to ONE CANDY APP! Brushed metal, nifty sounds, etc...

I registered with them and palced my vote for a Mac version. Currently the there are more Linux users requesting that a version be made for them than there are Mac users with the same request. 301 to 257

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I really cannot get audio chat to work with AIM and iChat. None of us have cameras, but I'm eying up a cheap iSight on eBay. If I can get one of those babies for half price, then I'll get it in future hope of video conferencing. It seems that chats work if at least one of the party has a webcam attached.

TorbX

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2003
Norway
Originally posted by floatingspirit
So can the iSight be used if I and my partner are both using Yahoo Messenger?

This isn't an iChat question, but I have given up on it for now because from Mac to Mac I couldn't get 2-way audio going between version 2.0 and the Jaguar version....

you've got ibook 500. Thats too weak.

burlsnuff

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2004
Problems w/ iChat Audio

Over the weekend I set up iSight and iChat AV v2.1 to have audio and video chats with my mom who is a PC user and is using AOL AIM 5.5, her camera is a Logitech Quickcam Zoom. After much fussing we were able to get the video chats going, but the problem is is that she can hear me but I cannot hear her - we cannot also use the audio chat option.

Has anyone else had these problems? We have checked and re-checked each other settings and troubleshot it to death through the Logitech website - but still no audio on my end - yes my speakers are on and I can play music and movies etc.

Much thanks to anyone to can help.

pb1212580

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2003
Just FYI,
I've setup OS 10.3 on a Blue and White 350Mhz tower running iChatAV and iSight!

Tested many times. Video and Audio quality normal. Uses iChatUSB to enable video. No big problems there and they constantly update the utility.

TorbX said:
you've got ibook 500. Thats too weak.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
afehrenbach said:
So, does anyone know at this point when we will be able to have audio chats with Windows users using AIM? Or when this final version of iChat is going to be released? :confused:

umm....I really don't know where to start to answer that question..........I hope that was a joke. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.