iChat AV Video Quality

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by topgunn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    Does anyone get video quality anywhere close to what Apple shows on their website here (see the picture labeled H.264 Compression)?

I just initiated a chat between my new 24" iMac and a friends MacBook and the video looked much more like the picture on the left rather than the pictures showing H.264.

The connection doctor indicated that we were both getting 300+kbps which according to Apple should be enough. Does anyone get an image as clear as the picture on the right?
  2. wmmk macrumors 68020

Mar 28, 2006
    The Library.
    i certainly don't. apple probably means 300+ kbps is good enough for video that looks as clear as the picture on the left. also, they could just have scaled the window way down for the screenshot. anyway, I don't think anyone without a T3 can get as clear of an image as the one on the right.
  3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    I purchased a eMac for my Mom so that we can chat online with video.

But the quality was terrible....

I suggested she upgrade her current broadband connection to the fastest available.

Finally, Tiger came out and it was suppose to make it better with h.264.

I tried googling for answers and looked at Apple's Support site for answers and tried the suggestions

I upgraded her eMac to a Macbook CD1

In my house, I am able to have the best quality with Airport connections between a Powermac G5 and a Powerbook G4 using the old iSight camera.

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

So.....how was the quality?
  5. slu macrumors 68000

Sep 15, 2004
    I am not going to say the quality is near what is shown on Apple's site, but I find it to me more than acceptable for chatting with my Dad in Canada and the both of us are on iMac G5s.