ichat av

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hopshead, Mar 4, 2007.

1. hopshead macrumors newbie

I just bought a new iMac and it should be here by the end of the week. I am curious to know what protocols (aim, yahoo, etc.) that ichat av supports. Also, can ichat directly connect to an ip for video conferencing like netmeeting in windoze?

2. hopshead thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I got the imac and it is great. It appears after doing some browsing on the net that the new aol im (6.0) will not video chat with ichat av. Is this true or is it outdated?

3. Samwise592 macrumors regular

since AOL and Apple partnered for iChat, all features Should be fully compatible. iChat supports AIM's protocol and Jabber (Google talk etc)

4. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I've never been able to video chat with iChat while using AIM. I mean, I could do it, other people just couldn't see me.

5. p0intblank macrumors 68030

iChat AV seems to be very picky when it comes to video conferencing. I find Skype to be much more reliable for video. I recommend trying it out. It's free!

6. hopshead thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, after some searching I found this
    http://www.aim.com/help_faq/starting_out/getstarted.adp

Q: Is AIM 6.0 compatible with AIM 5.9, AOL 9.0 and iChat?
    A: AIM 6.0 works seamlessly with AIM 5.9, AOL 9.0 and iChat® services. You can send and receive IMs with your buddies using any of these clients. However, certain advanced features may not work across all clients right now. For example, voice chat with more than two people only works with other AIM 6.0 users, and video chat will work only between two AIM 6.0 users at this time.

I wonder if aol plans to extend support for these features to ichat av with 6.0 users?