iChat Away Messages

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by platypus63, Dec 4, 2006.

1. platypus63 macrumors regular

I think every ichat user here would agree that viewing away messages (in full) is pathetic in ichat. Adium does a great job, but people who video chat frequently or want reliable file transfer can't depend on Adium.

I finally figured out that by using Chax+Growl, there is a contextual menu that says "More Info" that appears below ichats regular "Get Info" button that shows the away message of the person. And you can click hyperlinks with it too!! (something missing totally from ichat).

My question is if anybody knows how to make the growl away message thing be the default way to view away messages and/or profiles. I couldn't find a way in chax, perhaps through an applescript?

PS: Sorry if there was such a discussion earlier, I couldn't find one through search...

Thanks!
    -platypus

2. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

woah this is awesome~! I've longed for this feature, who knew I had it all along! Thanks for the tip.

Sorry I don't know how to make it more automatic, but going to "More Info" is fine for me :rolleyes:

EDIT: P.S> I fully expect the next version of iChat to fix these issues. Better profile creation/viewing, all that stuff.

3. indiean macrumors member

do you have to have growl to see this? because i have chax, i just don't have growl, but I thought growl was a notification program anyways. and i want this feature :)

4. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

5. platypus63 thread starter macrumors regular

oh i guess you dont need it, i have both so i thought they were related, since chax plugs into growl as well

6. indiean macrumors member

stupid question but...where is the get info button? i just pressed apple+i to get info. because i really can't find the ge tmore info button! sorry for the stupid question

7. platypus63 thread starter macrumors regular

With Chax installed you have to right click/control click on the screenname you want to get the info about, and a contextual menu should pop up and its in there

8. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

Away messages in full? Just hover your mouse over someone who is away, and their away message will show itself. Not that hard. Now if you mean with all the crazy fonts and sizing and colors that some people use in their away messages, youre out of luck. But who wants to see that anyway?