iChat BT?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by amd60305, Jul 2, 2004.

1. amd60305 macrumors newbie

I was looking through iChat 3.0's resources and came accross some interesting things, one was a BlueTooth image, another were more smilies than shown in iChat

Attached Files:

2. amd60305 thread starter macrumors newbie

Buddy List

has anyone seen the new group display in the BL?

Attached Files:

3. tj2001 macrumors regular

NICE!

That is amazing! Tiger is hidden with pure platinum features and tidbits!

I found something that I don't get.. in Safari, under bookmarks.. in a folder there is a checkbox for "Auto-Click" no clue what it's for! Also the bad arse search in bookmarks!

4. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

According to my sources, it's different...

[​IMG]

5. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

YES! Thank you Apple for bring the groups feature up to where AIM has been for years.

Is there an ability to have an AIM profile in iChat 3?

6. Localcelebrity macrumors newbie

Localcelebrity

finally... it blows my mind that none of the rumor sites have really said much about ichat AV yet

7. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

On first thought, why BlueTooth & iChat. If you are close enough for BT range you are close enough to talk. :confused:

But perhaps using your cell phone (via BT) for iChat(ing). Like bye bye phone line.

8. amd60305 thread starter macrumors newbie

AIM Profiles

yes, the new iChat allows you to have a profile that is directly available within iChat, no tricks needed to get your profile up

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you use your cell phone then you're on an internet connection like GPRS already, so you don't need any BT functionality in iChat, right? I can chat using Adium or iChat using my cell phone now.

I could see uses in situations where you can't talk because of noise issues (like in a library or a classroom) but typing might be useful, or maybe in certain kinds of meetings. But Rendezvous wi-fi chatting, which is already supported in the current iChat, is better for that, and who owns a mac that has BT and no Airport....

10. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

iChat has and does now have grouping. What's so different about it that makes it special? It still works the same, right?

11. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Is this like "Auto-tab"? If so then Safari already does this with multiple bookmarks. Or just command-click a bookmark folder.. same effect.

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

AIM-style grouping
    AIM profiles

The only thing I want now is tabbed chat windows! This will clear up the clutter muchos and make it cleaner and more organized. I loved tabs when I was on my old PC, using DeadAIM.

If they add tabs, then I'm all set.

13. amd60305 thread starter macrumors newbie

tab IMs

I think they are going to implement this, the blue icon (posted in first post) is the same blue icon from mail.app, which notifies you of unread e-mails. i'm thinking that icon will show up on the tab of an unread IM, I can't think of any other logical reason for that blue icon

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's a REALLY good idea, should Apple implement it. Imagine knowing instantly whether or not someone has sent you an IM even if you missed the dock icon bounce. (Sadly, I only have two people in my iChat buddy list!)

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This is the same as Adium already does, I hope they do this for iChat.

16. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That just further proves that Adium is ahead of the game as far as chatting goes (compared to iChat and Fire). iChat: nice interface, but not as many protocols supported as Adium. Fire: same protocol support, but lousy interface - worse than both iChat and Adium. I don't use Adium myself, since I don't have a need to chat with Yahoo and MSN users. I will say that Adium is a great app if you need multi-client support.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I love how I can leave the edge of my Adium buddy list visible behind other windows and watch the colors while I'm doing something else, waiting for someone's response.

18. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i like to only have online buddies shown, and it would be very nice if there was an auto resize feature to fit the buddies in the window perfectly... the scroll bar really annoys me...
    since we finally have profiles, an auto-resize (proteus and adium have this) feature would make ichat perfect IMHO...

reality

19. JohnsonMac macrumors newbie

It's realy encouraging to see Apple keep up development with iChat, an app that I thought they would release in its simple version, and tell users to use AIM if they wanted all features. But slowly and surely, it is becoming a really powerful *and* simple instant messenger. Now if only will support MSN.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I wonder what Apple's relationship with AOL says about this.... I don't think they'd want to provide multi-client support at the cost of the traffic AOL brings to iTMS.... (speaking of which, I wonder how much that is?)

Now...if they can set up iChat like Safari in such a way that the core application APIs can be executed by a 3P product, so that someone could write a chatting application that offers iChat's interface automatically and Adium's functionality.... :D Kinda like how programs like Real 10 and RAW or MusicSafari whatever its called now essentially use the Safari interface.

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

iChat is shaping up to be awesome in Tiger.....better grouping, profiles, better quality in the video chats, more than one video chat at a time, more than one audio chat at a time....

now all we need is: 1. tabbed chats 2. auto resize 3. mulit-client 4. and audio chat only with aim users

22. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Dude, that would be so awesome!

23. 7on macrumors 601

7on

It'd be hard for Apple to get support for a multi-client chat thingy. All those other multi-chat programs do so sorta illegally (don't think it's "truely" illegal because non of the players takes any legal action) but MS, Yahoo, etc. do change their protocol every now and then to stop multi-clients, but this is usually only a day or two before a new updates are released. I'm sure if iChat had MSn/Yahoo support Microsoft and Yahoo would definitely sue.

Not only that, but if Apple was able to provide a multi-client iChat with no additional cost than iChat AV people would gripe that Apple put the Proteus people out of business -- just like they are clamoring about konfabulator and dashboard.

24. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

I'm sure if Apple tried to make a multiclient iChat, it would be with the help of Yahoo and MSN. I think the chances them being able to strike a deal are better because iChat is a mac only program, making it very obscure. Unlike the chances of a windows app being able to negotiate the same thing. It's almost like Yahoo and MSN wouldn't care because so few people would be using iChat. It's not like it would take away from the number of people using their own clients. You know?

Muticlient IM application aren't as much novelty items like Konfabulator was. There's a big difference between the two. I don't see that being an identical situation. It's kinda like tabbed browsing. Nobody was upset about safari having tabbed browsing because it was considered a general/normal feature.

25. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I'm thinking the Bluetooth button will be for a bluetooth headsets, which seems a pretty good idea as open mics and speakers aren't great an office environment.

And to those Adium users how do you get your adium to look nice, I just never really like the feel of it. I wish iChat was multi client.