iChat buddies

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pdpardue, Jul 18, 2005.

1. pdpardue macrumors regular

Well, for the most part I really like iChat, really clean and what not... Here is my question/problem... I have a few people that have multiple screen names (or for example a cell phone), and back in the day before I switched over, AIM let me have as many damn screen names as I wanted cause nothing tied into anything. Well, now that iChat ties with address book setting this up as become somewhat of a nuisance.

I can put multiple screen names into address book, but how do I manage my lists? I have groups turned on so that I can organize my life a little bit, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to put people into groups based on just address book or iChat. For example, I have the cell phones in one group, but many people also have screen names that I have in other groups. I recently went to send my friend a text to their phone, and even though I selected the name from the phone list, iChat still tried to send it to their screen name even though they weren't online...

It's somewhat frustrating being that I have heard iChat announce that a friend has come online (their screen name), but their name not show up in the buddy lists because their other account is already 'online'... The only way that so far I have figured anything out how to switch between screen names is by opening up "new chat" from the file menu, clicking on the plus icon, finding my friend, and then opening up the sub menu... very frustrating and time consuming when all i want to do is have a group for phones and one for others and just click on the name and have it sent to the right screen name or phone with out all this other crap.

And then how do I sort into groups or created contacts into groups easily? In AIM there was a setup function where you could add delete and move names around... I really like the tie into address book and mail, but some of this is starting to get frustrating... Come on apple, add a selection in address book for groups...

Does anybody have any suggestions?

2. pdpardue thread starter macrumors regular

please?

not trying to bump, but no one has anything to say?