ichat buddy status popup box. MAKE IT STOP!! AHHH!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by inocen1, Feb 10, 2004.

1. inocen1 macrumors member

Hi all,
    I've been using IAM up to just a few days ago when I switched over to ichat. I really like it. It serves a lot of cool purposes and caters well to Macs but I have one problem that for the life of me I can not figure out how to fix.
    Could someone PLEASE tell me how to make this damn pop-up that appears in the middle of my screen like every other minute to stop coming up. I can NOT stand being told the status of my buddies everytime they go idle for ten minutes or go offline or whatever. Its just completely annoying and I can't seem to find something to make it stop.
    There is maybe one person that I'd like this to happen for. But if its all or nothing I'll take nothing.
    I don't understand why this isn't a problem to others. I mean, I'm reading a document and I have to deal with these annoying popups all the time. What do I do?
    Thanks,
    Matthew

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Calm down... :)

Are you sure it's iChat that's doing it? I only ask because I know that in Mail.app you can have it tell you if buddies or online or not in the mail window. So I'm assuming other applications (or even mail) might be able to do what you are describing. I haven't had the problem you're having so I can't really help you with that... I'd suggest browsing through the iChat preferences and/or reinstalling iChat (after you remove the preference files). Good luck. Let us know what you find.

3. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Go to iChat --> Preferences --> Alerts and set each one from the drop down box at the top of the window. You can turn off the alert boxes, the sounds, etc.

I personally have mine to chirp when someone logs in, and to use the door closing sound when they log off. No windows, no interruptions. (Granted, I have my sound turned down low so that it doesn't bother me much either.)

4. inocen1 thread starter macrumors member

I already did that

Hey, thanks for the reply. The thing is I already did that awhile ago and it didn't help. I have absolutely every alert turned off yet it doesn't seem to make those damn popups stop.
    Anything else you can suggest? I know, it makes no sense. There is no option to turn popups on and off so I assumed you could do nothing about it or it was buried someone else.
    Theres gotta be some answer to this. Its ridiculous.
    Matthew

5. inocen1 thread starter macrumors member

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Do you have Konfabulator installed? I think there's an iChat bezel widget that does that.

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I second the Konfabulator suggestion, a friend of mine had this widget for Konf and it did just this.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

iChat cannot be set to do this, but...other things are available.

If you click on a buddy and Get Info (Shift-Cmd-I) and go to Actions, you'll see the following dialog.

Attached Files:

9. zellin macrumors regular

10. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

11. inocen1 thread starter macrumors member

You guys are awesome, thanks for that tip. I do have Konfabulator and that must be it somehow. Really odd too cause I certainly didn't ask it to do that. How do you close a widget for good? I'm not very Konfabulator savvy.
    Thanks,
    Matthew

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

right click or control click on it and pick "Close Widget"