ichat busted

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlBDamned, Jan 8, 2007.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I've been trying to hook my Dad up with iChat this week. He's running a 20" Intel CD iMac with iSight. However, when he clicks on iChat, it bounces once and doesn't open. His software is fully up to date, everything else is running fine.

Is there any way to try fix it without going through a reinstallation? I can't find anywhere to re-download the app itself because it only comes with Tiger discs, plus I live on another continent so can't go round there.

We've got round the problem using Skype for video chats, but picture quality is definitely a little ropey compared to some of the iChat video calls I've had with other friends.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I was thinking about recommending Pacifist but I'm not sure it would work and it's a little complex for a learner.

2. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

So nobody has any ideas on this? Could somebody send me/upload me a zipped package of iChat for an intel Mac? :)

3. /"\/oo\/"\ macrumors regular

has he tried restoring permissions? pretty easy to do that before proceeding with more complicated procedures...

4. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yeah it didn't do a thing unfortunately.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

He could try moving all of the com.apple.ichat files out of his Library->Preferences folder (like to his desktop), then restarting iChat. If it works, he can delete those moved files.

6. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Ok I'll ask him to give that a whirl. Thanks jsw.