iChat can't connect.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mojo67821, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Mojo67821 macrumors regular

Everytime I try to use ichat it doesn't seem to want to connect. I just get an error.. One time, I was able to connect to my girlfriends PPC iBook with my Intel MBP. We were on the same LAN however, and every time I've tried to use the program since then I get an error.

I'm in an airport at the moment and trying to connect to my brother's brand new MacBook... just an error.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting advice?

PS - Im getting a "communication" error. Chat Dr. says "Error 8"

2. EricN95033 macrumors newbie

The Fix for Error 8 When Starting iChat Video

A lot of people are reporting that they get Error 8 when trying to start up an iChat video conference. The problem is most likely in your firewall/router configuration(s). You need to read the following Apple document (the whole thing):

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208

and then configure your router and firewalls accordingly. Pay attention to ports 5220 and 5222. They are only mentioned for the router but I found that I also needed to open them up on my Tiger firewall.

If you are still having problems, then have the other end check their configuration. You may also have problems if you are behind a corporate firewall. The last place to check is your ISP.

Have fun.....

3. gunnar23 macrumors newbie

Thanks I opened 5220-5222 on my firewall and that fixed it.
    Thanks!