iChat Confrencing and Microphone question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by laughingbabe16, Dec 21, 2006.

1. laughingbabe16 macrumors member

MB has an internal microphone right? Well if this is true, why doesn't my microphone work when having an iChat Cam conference? I can hear the person on the other side, but when I go to talk, they can't hear me.

I looked at my microphone settings, and everything is working/enabled/etc.

Am I overlooking something? or Should I take my MB to the Apple store after the holidays to have someone look at it?

Thanks!
    Happy Holidays and Merry X-Mas!:)

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I'm prety sure your MacBook has an internal mic. To check it's functionality, open up iMovie, click on the Media tab (bottom right) and make sure Audio tab (at the top) is selected. At the bottom on the audio pane should be a lovely little microphone imput volume meter thing. Talk to your Mac and see if the bar at the bottom changes.

If it doesn't there's probably something wrong.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The MacBook definitely has an internal mic. You can also test your mic from System Preferences -> Sound -> Input -- the bar in the middle should be moving in response to sound you produce.

Do go use this or iMovie to check your mic. But it sounds more like there is a connection issue à la firewalls, etc. Can you be more specific about the setup (computers, services, webcams, ISPs, and networking hardware) on both sides of the chat, please?

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

MBs have a built-in microphone. you don't have to use iMovie to check it, you can check it by going to System Preferences > Sound > Input.

is it only with the one person? are they using a Mac or a PC? is their volume turned up? are they on iChat or another messenger?