iChat connection Mac to Mac problems

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by fmseelig, Sep 11, 2004.

1. fmseelig macrumors newbie

Sep 11, 2004
    I got one kid in Santa Maria and one in Brooklyn. I'm in Lake Tahoe. We all have Macs with iSights. Sometimes there is no problem connecting with each other. Other times we not only fail to connect, but an AirPort will go wacky and knock one of us offline. I have a DSL connection and use an AirPort. I have a G3/800 iBook and a G5/2.0. Sometimes the G5 will work and the G3 won't. Othertimes, no problems.

So... what's going on and what can I do to make it better? It's a great way to visit with kids and grandkids and it's a lot less expensive and tiring. At the moment, however, it's a pretty big pain in the ass to get connected.
  2. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    Well it sounds like your wireless connection is crapping out on you. Things like microwaves, cordless phones, etc can all effect your wireless connection. Also, a wireless connection will severely be distorted if it passes through aluminum, or concrete walls.

Try just directly connecting the DSL modem to your PowerMac, or iBook and see if the problems go away. If they do then its a problem with your wireless connection.