iChat: Data Sent Too Quickly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iHatePCs, Jan 31, 2005.

1. iHatePCs macrumors member

iHatePCs

Okay, is this little problem annoying anyone else when you send about 6-7 instant messages in about a minute. After you send them iChat will stop you from sending anythign else and say: The AIM service could not send the message: You have sent too much data too quickly. Please wait a little while before sending more. Can anyone please post anything that might be of any help... I don't want to switch to Adium... I'm perfectly happy with iChat... except for that one little problem. Thanks for any help of infoformation in advance! :confused:

2. deral macrumors regular

deral

Yeah, I get that a lot. Don't have any advice though, just empathy. :rolleyes:

3. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

That isn't an iChat issue. It's a protection within the AIM servers. The same thing will happen with all AIM clients.

4. iHatePCs thread starter macrumors member

iHatePCs

I've tried Adium X before and it lets me send alot more... and I mean alot.... when I send them with iChat I'm not even doing it fast...I send maybe about one IM every 10-15 seconds

5. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I'm almost 100% sure that's a placebo effect. Right before i posted, I had my roommate msg me a bunch of times consecutively. He uses AIM on XP and it even has a "warning" bar that shows when you're approaching the point at which you won't be able to send anymore.

6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

on AIM you can send like 20 IMs before the thing goes off...

7. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Well, my roommate just did that real quick and got 9 IMs. Sending "a" as the message, one after another.

8. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

lol, i havent seen that message since back in the day. . . when i was 14 and using AOL on 56k dial up!!! (yes there was once a day that was the new cool technology!!) here is what you can do to avoid the message.

do

not

send

short

messages quickly.

it might be cool on your phone to send short messages to people quickly, but there is no reason to do it on AIM (or any AIM client like iChat) if you run into the message when typing long messages with long intervels then there might be something odd with your connection. but changing clients will not make a difference. i like iChat b/c it has the best interface with audio/video chatting. but i did really like adium for chat alone (i used it for a while before going back to iChat) then others like plain AIM or fire (i think thats what it was called) are just lame and dont do a lot. yeah, ok ive probably said far too much, congratulations for reading this far!

9. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I agree with wPod not to send too many short messages too quickly, but I too, feel that the iChat client is showing that warning alot more than the regular AIM client. I thought it was just a problem with my iChat, but it seems to be "affecting" other people too?