iChat doesn't work?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by D0ct0rteeth, Aug 19, 2002.

1. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    Condensed from MacNN, I don't have jaguar to verify or debunk the story:

MacNN notes that users with mac.com accounts using iChat cannot see anyone on a 3rd party client (Fire, trillian)

If you are on a AIM clone-client, you are not able to see @mac.com users.

Be clear - this is not a iChat application problem - this is a AOL IM service/.mac IM service issue. It appears that AOL has used the occasion of adding the .mac folks to AOL's AOL IM service to break the AOL IM protocol that all the opensource folks have worked on so hard.

There is another glitch with iChat. After being logged on for a set amount of time (not sure not long yet), iChat will stop showing the most up to date Buddy List, and you won't see messages that are sent to you. It could very well be a glitch with the way AOL IM servers react to ichat clients. Nevertheless, its a frustrating problem, and I was logged in using a standard AOL IM username, not a .mac account."
  2. big macrumors 65816

Feb 20, 2002
  3. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    this is true, I was chatting to beej last night

it was fine when he logged in as his AIM account but when he logged into his .mac account I could no longer see him, this was in adium and then I would log into ichat and I could see him , strange , apple need to fix this
  4. balliet macrumors member

Dec 21, 2001
    Re: iChat doesn't work?

Not really. There are two protocols for AIM, a documented one called TOC (that *most* of the third party aim clients use, adium included) and an undocumented one that AOL uses. I haven't used iChat or talked to anyone using it, but it appears @mac.com accounts aren't going through the TOC servers correctly. If this is the case, it isn't apple's problem. I don't think its AOL trying to be hostile towards third party clients either. I think its just a matter of them not really caring about the TOC protocol and not bothering to update whatever they need to to make the @mac.com accounts work. This is just one of many missing features from the TOC protocol.
  5. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

Re: Re: iChat doesn't work?

wow you seem to be the guy/ girl to talk to if you have IM troubles ;)
    be warned, i may call on you someday.
  6. Microsoft_Windows_Hater macrumors member

Oct 4, 2001
    iChat has other probs too

Unfortunately it is not perfect.

There are the reports on MacNN about the updating of the buddy list.

Also, there are other undocumented errors such as NS coding errors (non-fatal), Rendezvous errors (it wont start) and iChat crashing once and taking down all my networking on my mac. Its not perfect, not in a long shot, but it is still better than everything else.
  7. peterjhill macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I haven't had any rendezvous problems, but I have had some issues, also with Beej, that if I ran AIM, I saw Beej fine, but when I ran iChat, no luck.

It does work fine with everyone else, so it may be a need for a system reinstall.
  8. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2002
    Hong Kong
    yeah.. i too have seen this problem..

when i log on to either iChat or Adium or other open-source protocol based aim programs i cannot see several of my buddies -- and if i log on AOL's client, i can see them all just perfectly..

its really a bummer..

my buddies can im me that dont show up on the list, but its a real pain cause i cant im them from iChat since you cant address an im to someone not on your list.. on if their on my list, they dont appear to be online...

9. gopher macrumors 65816

Mar 31, 2002
    Maryland, USA
    I'm waiting for iChat to support AOL chat rooms in addition to instant messanging before completely switching over from AOL Instant Messanger. Sure you can command-G, but nowhere can you get a listing of the available chat rooms except in AOL Instant Messanger.
  10. Biggles macrumors member

Feb 3, 2002
    Are your buddies using AIM/AOL or a third party program? I have a feeling that iChat just doesnt support TOC very well and therefore can't see adium, fire, trillian, and so on
  11. kidonaleash macrumors newbie

Aug 20, 2002
    I hate misinformation!!!

"Apple's G4. 4+3 (g3) equals 7,which is the number of days the Apple Store is open in a week. 7+24(number of hours Apple Store is open) equals 31(number of days in the average month). Now subtact 11(OS 10.1 10+1=11) and you get 20. 20 minus 15(number of full moons per year) equals 5. 5 is the next revolution in the Apple chip...G5!" ~ Mac_User

not only is the average number of days in a month 30 but there are only 12 full moons year. Geez people can be dumb.
  12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Re: I hate misinformation!!!

It's true that there are an average of 30.41666 days in a month but as far as full moons, there may be more depending on how brave the local teens are. :D
  13. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2002
    Big Shoulders
    ever stop to consider that the ichat incorporation might not be active yet because jaguar isn't supposed to ship until august 24th? ;)
  14. agentpaul420 macrumors newbie

Jul 25, 2002
    iChat Profile

Hey guys...one thing that is stopping me from making the switch from AIM to iChat is the lack of being able to make ur own profile. I know u can view other people's profiles, but why can't u make ur own??? Let me know if there's something i'm missing here...THANX :D
  15. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Jan 3, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Right now, i see no reason to use iChat instead of AIM, other than the cool look of the program. First of all, many AIM clients (including a large number of AOL users) can't see the @mac.com users. Second, you can't send files with iChat. Third, you can't use your original AIM handle.

Someday when we get iChat 2, it will be a very nice program. Right now, I'll stick with AIM for OS-X.
  16. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    First of all, .mac users are using iChat, so should everyone else...

Second of all, you CAN send files with iChat. Just click the paperclip to attach one.

Third, you can. Im using it right now.
  17. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Jan 3, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Okay, I've checked it out and, yes, two of my three points were wrong (can use AIM handles, can attach files.)

But my first point holds up and it is important. If you use your .mac name under iChat, many conventional AIM users will not be able to see you. True, most of these users should simply upgrade their software, but getting everyone to do so will take some time. In the mean time, it makes sense to use AIM for OSX, not iChat.
  18. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Jan 3, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    And now that I think about it ... what I should have said is if you want to use iChat, you should use your existing AIM handle for the time being and switch over to the .mac handle only after the longer file extensions are more commonly used by all AIM clients. (Which raises the obvious question -- what good are the .mac handles?)

Sorry ... it's late, it's Sunday, I shouldn't even be awake.
  19. phoxy_brown macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2002
    Maine, 10 miles from the border
    one of my friends is having troubles with iChat she says that she can't use it due to an Auth:ResvRate error. she didn't give anymore detail than that.

20. gopher macrumors 65816

Mar 31, 2002
    Maryland, USA
    What machine are they using iChat with? Which version of Jaguar are they using it with? How was Jaguar installed on their machines (a simple upgrade install from 10.1.5 will cause problems for iChat if AIM was previously installed, and an Archive and Install should be done instead)? What type of internet connection do they have (dialup, PPPoE, or DHCP)? Are other programs working just fine? Did they verify that their username and password work with AIM if they are on the AIM network, or that it connects to the iDisk if they have a .Mac account?
  21. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    the Auth:ResvRate error happens like this...open ichat and keep hitting Command+L to log in and out a whole bunch of times really fast...then you will see this message
  22. gopher macrumors 65816

Mar 31, 2002
    Maryland, USA
    Sounds to me you have your keyboard repeat rate set too fast. Try reducing your keyboard repeat rate or using the menubar to login.
  23. ChicMommy macrumors newbie

Apr 5, 2007
    Help with ichat!

I can't log onto my AIM account through ichat. When I try to log on, I get an error message, saying "Lost connection with AIM. The connection to the host was unexpectedly lost." Haven't been able to use ichat yet since I got my MacBook. Any ideas? Thanks!
  24. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    I'm having the exact same problem on my intel imac... :-(

Everytime I try to open ichat or connect, it gives me that error immediately.
  25. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    Why dig up a 5 year old (!!!) thread that's not even related to your issue?!

Do other AIM clients work on your Mac? Do you have any other Macs on the same network that can use iChat fine?